Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

'07 JK - Muffler Recommendations / Soft Top

Old 07-19-2019, 07:26 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '07 JK - Muffler Recommendations / Soft Top

The muffler on my 07 two-door JK is through - rusted out and has a hole at this point. I bought the Jeep used but it's probably the original muffler. I'd like a drop-in replacement. I use the Jeep as my every day driver. I don't do any heavy off-roading, just everyday road use and some light duty stuff over fields and dirt roads or snow.

From what I can see, there are three options - Omix-Ada at about $180, Mopar at about $290 and Walker at about $115. The Mopar and Walker claim to be drop-in using the stock mounting. The Omix-Ada looks similar but I don't see any information about whether it's truly a drop-in. Any recommendations as to which of these is the best option for the money? I have no problem using all the basic hand tools, but I don't have a lift and I am not looking to weld or cut-up anything to do the install. I'd like to do a drop-in replacement just in my home garage.

While I'm ordering stuff, I'm considering a soft top. I have the hard Freedom Top, which is nice but I still have a love of the soft top when it's not winter here. Any recommendations on a good value full soft top for general purpose use? Not looking to spend a fortune on it, but I'm trying to avoid junk as well.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:53 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

If you don't mind, update your profile with your location at least, if not a few basic details about the jeep as many will try to reference that information when offering advice/opinions/suggestions. If you're in a metropolitan area, Craigslist is usually best source for finding a soft top for a decent price. The premium material is so much better than the regular stuff, but also commands decent bit more in price. Around my DFW area, there are occasionally practically new mufflers for sale on CL for $50. It's really hard to think about dropping $200 - $300 on that monstrosity of a factory muffler. I understand the ease of direct swap in the garage, but you can buy something simple from auto store and have a muffler shop bend a pipe to mount it in the factory location, usually for under $50.....all-in under $100 with the muffler. I was never willing to spend much on a muffler....bought a Thrush Welded from AAP for $35 and had it installed for $40. Boom, has suited me well. It doesn't sound like a honda like Dynomax and all those others do...it's small, has a little tone to it, but I don't think it drones bad or anything with my 3.6L, IDK what it would be like with the 3.8L though. My point just being you can do something much cheaper than factory if you didn't mind paying a small bit for install. Makes me think back to when I removed that factory muffler myself....LOL, didn't come off near as easy as I thought it would. OOF.

As an example -
https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/pt...922293455.html

If you can wait just a bit you might set a CL alert in your area.

Last edited by resharp001; 07-19-2019 at 01:13 PM.

Quick Reply: '07 JK - Muffler Recommendations / Soft Top