Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Towing a pop-up

Old 07-21-2019, 06:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Towing a pop-up

Hey guys, I have ‘17 JKU w/ 3.73’s with 2inch springs and 33’s. I am looking to buy a pop-up, I have never owned or towed a pop-up before. Would the JKU be able to tow it comfortably with out any issues? Thanks for the help.

Last edited by 3rd-go-around; 07-21-2019 at 01:41 PM.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

You will be okay, if you keep it small, and don’t overload.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

We've got a member who has done a TON of towing with a pop-up. He used the smittybilt rear bumper that is rated to tow more along with electric brakes and (if I'm remembering right ) a weight distributing hitch. He had zero issues. Do it the right way and you'll be fine. Overloading it is where you'll have issues.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:09 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

'Comfortably' and 'Issues' are open to a lot of interpretation. Many of us tow with our JK's, some even indicate that they tow over the 3500lb limit with no problems. Others talk about a lack of power even when not towing, hate the added drag when pulling anything at all, feel they need controllers and weight distribution and extra cooling and expensive brakes and ...

The popups I have looked at were probably 1/2 to 3/4 of the weight I commonly tow, you have a better engine/trans combo, and though I didn't check your details, I'm guessing you aren't running a big lift/tire combo? You'll be fine. And once you start towing, you'll be able to think about it from a better perspective and decide what, if anything, to change or add.

Personally, I tow a boat all the time that is somewhere over 3000 lbs, and have also towed fully loaded 6x12 enclosed uhauls that were well into the 3000+lb range on 12 hour trips from Tx up into Co. (08 3.8 auto, 3.5" and 37's, so pretty much a lot less power than yours). No load leveling or tow controller, surge brakes on the trailer, no special setup at all. Other than a lack of grunt from the 3.8 auto, no issues with the actual towing. But again, it's all about personal opinion and preference. I don't mind slow and steady, others want to be comfortably cruising at 90 while towing a motorhome behind them.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
'Comfortably' and 'Issues' are open to a lot of interpretation. Many of us tow with our JK's, some even indicate that they tow over the 3500lb limit with no problems. Others talk about a lack of power even when not towing, hate the added drag when pulling anything at all, feel they need controllers and weight distribution and extra cooling and expensive brakes and ...

The popups I have looked at were probably 1/2 to 3/4 of the weight I commonly tow, you have a better engine/trans combo, and though I didn't check your details, I'm guessing you aren't running a big lift/tire combo? You'll be fine. And once you start towing, you'll be able to think about it from a better perspective and decide what, if anything, to change or add.

Personally, I tow a boat all the time that is somewhere over 3000 lbs, and have also towed fully loaded 6x12 enclosed uhauls that were well into the 3000+lb range on 12 hour trips from Tx up into Co. (08 3.8 auto, 3.5" and 37's, so pretty much a lot less power than yours). No load leveling or tow controller, surge brakes on the trailer, no special setup at all. Other than a lack of grunt from the 3.8 auto, no issues with the actual towing. But again, it's all about personal opinion and preference. I don't mind slow and steady, others want to be comfortably cruising at 90 while towing a motorhome behind them.
The pop-up I’m looking at (website says)weighs 2700lbs. I am running 33’s and a 2inch lift. I don’t mind slow and steady, I’m used to that in my 88YJ running 35’s. LOL!
Old 07-22-2019, 05:26 PM
L2R
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a distribution hitch ( helps lock the two together)
Get the right drop hitch so you have 10-15% of the weight on the hitch. (too much weight on the tongue will damage the jeep when you hit a hard bump and too little will cause a wreck Here is an example for anyone who might wonder if it really matters. And this is what happens when a big truck passes by and a blast of air hits the side of your camper.

I just switched out a trailer. Took it a truck stop and used their scales.
I just put just the trailer tires (one axle) on the scales and got the weight.. then unhitched it so all the weight of the trailer was on the scales. (both tires and the front jack) Subtract the first number from the second and you now know how much weight is on your jeep.
(Not sure about how much a Jeep's max tongue weight is ( 300 lbs.?) but you need to check yours.)

It's not difficult to learn and once you get it right, you can forget about it.

good luck.

Last edited by L2R; 07-22-2019 at 05:29 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 04:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 2012 JKUR with a 3.5" lift on 35s and tow a popup trailer with a 2700 pound dry weight. I have a weight distribution hitch and electric brakes on the trailer. It tows pretty well. I do have to down shift to fourth pulling some grades, but havent had any other issues.

Trending Topics

Old 07-23-2019, 05:17 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I have zero issues.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:22 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

I'm the guy that's done a bunch of towing of a toy hauler approaching 5000 pounds. Ground rules: you must have weight distribution hitch, trailer brakes with a brake controller, and an anti sway friction bar. I'd also highly recommend the smittybilt XRC rear bumper. It is rated for 5000 pounds and significantly improved how the weight distribution hitch works compared to the somewhat flexible stock receiver. Do these things and keep your highway speed below 65mph and you should be fine towing a 3000 or 4000 pound trailer. Note that my towing has been in PA, NJ, VA, and NC so some hilly areas, but not like the Rockies. I now retired my 2012 Jku to a pleasure vehicle and bought a 2011 Toyota Tundra for towing. What a huge towing difference. The Tundra doesn't even feel like a trailer is connected, even at 75mph.
The following users liked this post:
karls10jk (07-24-2019)

Quick Reply: Towing a pop-up