Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

09 JKU Engine Wiring Harness Replacement

Old 09-20-2022, 04:24 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 JKU Engine Wiring Harness Replacement

In changing the crank sensor, I've discovered that the wiring is falling apart. The ones right next to the crank sensor are so bad I can't replace the harness going to the crank sensor and have it work. Also the ones to the sensor in the exhaust right there are visibly exposed so as near as I can tell, this rabbit hole goes fairly deep. Currently I'm stuck with a dead Jeep and it's my only vehicle.

Is there a way I can replace just the wires going to the sensor so I can at least get it running again while I figure out the rest so I can at least get the kids to school?

Can I replace the whole engine harness myself? I can't really afford to have it done and am quite savvy but I don't want to bite off more than I can chew or still have it not run after. I'll call around for prices but I have a feeling it's going to be ridiculous

Have anyone here done it themselves? How did it go?

Thanks!!
Old 09-21-2022, 02:09 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by TechLife
... I can't replace the harness going to the crank sensor and have it work. ... Is there a way I can replace just the wires going to the sensor so I can at least get it running again ...
These seem to be contradictory remarks. FYI, you can buy the connector to the crank sensor with a pigtail on it so you can splice it into the existing harness. I wanted to do that when I was having problems with my CPS. I figured I'd replace both the harness and CPS on my 2007 while I was down there because, as you intimate, the wiring on the JKs is appallingly poor quality. However, reaching the harness was virtually impossible without pulling way more parts than I cared to. Here is a link for your harness, I believe. They must've gotten very proud of it; I recall paying less than $20:

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...lVehicle=false

As for harnesses in general, I did some searching since my nearly 300K miles motor is in need of replacing and I'd put a new harness in. Found that (back pre-Covid) the harnesses go for about $500, and that there are no new ones out there. Just used. How used, it's a crap shoot, isn't it? My problem may be that I have a manual transmission. There may be better options for those with an automatic.
Old 09-21-2022, 07:31 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the reply, @Mark Doiron . I really appreciate it. In review, I see your point. Please allow me to be a bit more clear:

I purchased the replacement pigtail for the crank sensor because upon inspection I found bare wire exposed on two of the leads going to the factory connector just before entering the connector. Cut those back and connect a new one, right? Nope. I unwound the heat tape and the jacket on those wires just disintegrated and they're so short I can't trace them back far enough to where they are clean. I also noticed just before the connector going into the exhaust literally right next to the crank sensor (o2?), the same issue so I'm not sure how deep this rabbit hole goes. I've read a lot of posts about owners of this JK needing the complete engine harness replaced and I assume I am one of them. If it was spring, I wouldn't worry too much, but winter is coming and I don't want to be trying to wire anything in the snow.

What did you have to take apart to get to yours? If I can get that harness free and pull it down (or up) far enough to open the heat tape on it farther back, I can certainly replace any of those needed from that point forward. I'm dead in the water and need to find a solution that doesn't cost a mint asap.

It is an automatic and I can get a new harness for it from Mopar for about $375. That I can do. $2k, I can't. I just want to make sure before buying a new harness that replacing it isn't a bloody nightmare

Last edited by TechLife; 09-21-2022 at 12:11 PM.
Old 05-18-2024, 09:44 AM
JK Newbie

Resurrecting this old thread... Running into the exact same issue with my 08... what was the end result?
Old 05-18-2024, 11:01 AM
JK Newbie

I got the replacement harness from napa, cut off the old one, and was able to solder the new harness in. Be forewarned getting to it to do this is an absolute bitch. I didn't take anything apart either. The cam sensor I had replaced was faulty out of the box so I also got a new one of those. Ran fine after that

Quick Reply: 09 JKU Engine Wiring Harness Replacement