Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2018 JKU Issues

Old 04-24-2024, 05:09 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 JKU Issues

Good morning. I am contemplating buying a 2018 JKU with 54k miles on it from a dealership (will be a DD....no off-roading). I took it to a guy who works on Jeeps for an inspection and he found a couple of issues:

1. Front Ball Joints - He said they need to be replaced. How difficult would it be for me to do them myself? I have been doing some basic work on cars for years (oil changes, brake jobs, tune-ups, etc). How difficult is it to replace the ball joints? How long should it take? Do I need any special tools to do the job? Any suggestions on what ball joints to buy (better than the factory but don't break the bank)?
2. Tailgate - He said the oversized spare tire is putting stress on the tailgate. He showed me the rivets on the inside of the tailgate and a couple of them have cracks around them. He said we need a reinforced tire carrier on (he quoted the TeraFlex JK Hinged Carrier). How difficult is it to put one on and any suggestions on which one to buy?
3. Shocks and Struts - Need to be replaced. How difficult are they to replace? How long will it take? Special tools? Any suggestions on what brand/model (better than the factory but don't break the bank)?
4. He also mentioned a popping in drag link but didn't seem concerned about it and didn't add it to my quote. Can someone explain to me what this is exactly (I'm not familiar with the drag link). Does this need to repaired/should I be concerned?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-24-2024, 06:16 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

It sounds like you went to a pretty good shop cuz the advice, or what he highlighted, are good things.

Ball joints - if you can do basic work, you can likely replace your own ball joints. Typically a shop will charge $350 in labor to do this, so if you can do it yourself you basically cover the cost of some decent BJs. If you don't have a 1/2" drive 50-250 ft lbs torque wrench, you'd want to buy one for this rig. only other "specialty" tools for this job would be a 12-pt 13mm socket for the wheel bearing bolts, and a BJ press that you can borrow from auto parts store. For someone that has never done it, you could be looking at a half day job. For people that have done it before....2-4 hrs with the high end being a leisurely pace.

Tire carrier - the shop is correct. The hinges are the weakpoint. Teraflex was the original design of that hinge carrier, and worth the money IMO. there are now a ton of knockoffs that have copied them and are cheaper. This would come down to your wallet and willingness to support companies that copy designs. if you do pay up for the original, and I think I would, keep in mind that is an asset you could always resell if you wanted. it's not money just thrown away.

Shocks - that JKU has no struts, just straightforward shocks and coils. The shocks aren't difficult to replace, but always more fun than they should be, especially the upper bolts on the fronts.....specifically passenger side.

I always encourage people to do their own work if they are capable. It's good to be in touch with your rig cuz these things are just a bit different monster than most cars on the road. Myself, and some others here, will always be around to help support people who are willing to turn their own wrench.
The following users liked this post:
pmsmith2032 (04-24-2024)

Quick Reply: 2018 JKU Issues