Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Re-flash ECU?

Old 04-30-2024, 06:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re-flash ECU?

So, barely getting the Jeep engine back together and waiting on some parts to arrive. Upper intake manifold is the last piece and should be in Thursday. Waiting on parts really sucks.

One issue I haven't sorted out is the ECU. I know the Magnuson supercharger relied on the diablo handheld tuner. The ECU is 'married' to the diablo, and per Magnuson another diablo won't work, which is ok. My shop says they use HP tuners and are worried that the ECU might be locked. Magnuson told me that it is possible the HP Tuner may not be able to connect to the computer and my best bet is to go to the dealer and have them do a factory 're-flash' and they should have no issues.

I obviously cannot drive the 'tuned' Jeep on a stock motor to a dealer. Can I have the ECU removed and take it to the Jeep dealer? Does that even make sense lol
Old 05-01-2024, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 422 Posts

The only ECUs that are locked are 2015 and newer. Not sure what year yours is but if older than 2015 then all it takes is the right HPT credits to access the program and it is most likely the shop has an open multi VIN licence so should not be an issue. If the Jeep is newer than 2015 then the ECU has to be sent away for an unlock to HPT and that costs $299.
The following users liked this post:
fowlken8 (05-02-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 06:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a 2012. It had the basic diablo tune that came with the magnuson supercharger. So, sadly I don't have the stock tune to reload.

The shop uses hpt. I'm curious how this will all work.

Quick Reply: Re-flash ECU?