Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Unprotected wires and masking tape???

Old 06-17-2007, 01:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unprotected wires and masking tape???

You might want to check under your hood for this...

On the driver's side, just after the headers, there's a sensor with wires leading to a socket under the brake master cylinder / oil reservoir. I found it odd that the wires leading from the sensor were mostly unprotected, and their 'heat shield / wrap' was all bunched higher up. Then I noticed the pigtail was folded onto itself -- keeping the whole thing very tight between the sensor and socket -- by some masking tape! To my mind, that's 3 problems: The wires are unprotected, too tight in case of engine block movement, and the short lifespan of masking tape. So, I removed the masking tape, stetched out the protective wrap to cover the wires, and recreated a little fold with a tie-wrap. I left the pigtail a little looser.

So, anyone spot the same problem on their JK? Mine's a May 2007 build.

js.
Old 06-17-2007, 04:22 PM
JK Super Freak

You didn't, by chance, take a before and after picture, did you?
Old 06-17-2007, 04:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 07rube
You didn't, by chance, take a before and after picture, did you?
Sorry - I saw it and fixed it.

I took a few shots of the 'after' for you though...

Here's the sensor location on the catalytic converter - note the steering collumn to locate it. These wires were completely unprotected until I moved the insulation wrap over them.

Here's the little 'kink' I made with tie-wraps to keep the wires from dangling too much. The pigtail was really tight before...

And here's the connector, right under the brake oil. If you need to fix your pigtail, it's easier done by disconnecting it first. :-)

js.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:25 PM
JK Super Freak

FYI those wires don't really need any protection. That is an oxygen sensor, and some cars have no protection over the wires going from the plug to the sensor.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RedRockJK
FYI those wires don't really need any protection. That is an oxygen sensor, and some cars have no protection over the wires going from the plug to the sensor.
No effect on the computer if the wires get ripped off the socket? They were stretched that tight...

js.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jsmoriss
Sorry - I saw it and fixed it.

I took a few shots of the 'after' for you though...

Here's the sensor location on the catalytic converter - note the steering collumn to locate it. These wires were completely unprotected until I moved the insulation wrap over them.

Here's the little 'kink' I made with tie-wraps to keep the wires from dangling too much. The pigtail was really tight before...

And here's the connector, right under the brake oil. If you need to fix your pigtail, it's easier done by disconnecting it first. :-)

js.
I just wanted to say THANK YOU for this post. I am reinstalling my clutch, transmission and exhaust after the dealership took it apart. I just spent over an hour trying to figure out where that stupid wire connected to. Saved by fellow jeepers once again!

Quick Reply: Unprotected wires and masking tape???