Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Anyone raise their breathers to the top of their snorkel?

Old 10-13-2009, 08:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone raise their breathers to the top of their snorkel?

I installed my snorkel a couple weeks ago, and planning on raising my breather tubes... I've searched, and saw several posts about folks raising them to:

* tail light
* rear of engine bay (by firewall)
* gas cap

It seems to make more sense to raise them to the same level as the snorkel. Has anyone done this? Is it overkill to do it?

I got the snorkel as cheap insurance (eg. in the pine barrens), and I won't be actively seeking deep water... I'm sure raising the breathers to the tail light/rear engine bay will suffice - but since I was already raising them... and I had a snorkel...
Old 10-14-2009, 07:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nytennisaddict
I installed my snorkel a couple weeks ago, and planning on raising my breather tubes... I've searched, and saw several posts about folks raising them to:

* tail light
* rear of engine bay (by firewall)
* gas cap

It seems to make more sense to raise them to the same level as the snorkel. Has anyone done this? Is it overkill to do it?

I got the snorkel as cheap insurance (eg. in the pine barrens), and I won't be actively seeking deep water... I'm sure raising the breathers to the tail light/rear engine bay will suffice - but since I was already raising them... and I had a snorkel...
no one's raised their breathers to the top of their snorkel? do most folks with snorkel's think it's overkill to do that (and the other points mentioned above are sufficient)?
Old 10-23-2009, 12:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the same question. Did you find an answer by any chance?
Old 10-23-2009, 04:54 AM
JK Freak

what the heck are breathers?
Old 10-23-2009, 05:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by nytennisaddict
imho its overkill. you'll have other things to worry about if you're that deep for any period of time

as you said you're not actively seeking deeper water. so with raised breathers & the snorkel you have the basics covered. remember to keep an eye on the fan. you may want to check out this write up.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:36 AM
JK Super Freak

if you really want to the river raider kit put the breathers into the airbox, so if you have a snorkel, they are raised all the way up
Old 10-23-2009, 09:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

question about the RR kit--if your diffs burp fluid, will it flow into the air box? then you have real problems..

or am i off base? i'm looking at the RR kit as well.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevedolce
question about the RR kit--if your diffs burp fluid, will it flow into the air box? then you have real problems..

or am i off base? i'm looking at the RR kit as well.
This is just my opinion! But, I would assume that if your diffs burp that much fluid, you have a bigger problem than you think! That's a ton of fluid to get from your rear diff to the airbox.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:55 AM
JK Freak

seriously, if you're in that much water, even accidentally, you've been careless or worse off reckless. either way, it wont matter bcuz by that point your entire electrical system will have chernobyled and you'll be posting another thread on here talking about what huge assholes your chrysler dealer, and insurance companies are, for not covering your blatant disregard for common sense.-just sayin. I think you should be considering a wave runner, and not a Jeep for your recreational needs.-ps I love snorkles, I want one. but, I'll never be in water higher than maybe my running lights. above that, I'm pretty certain that nature is telling you you're in a place you ought not to be.-SORRY FOR THE RANT-I meant no disrespect-I just hate seeing people doing unnecessary harm to themselves

Last edited by PIPES2008; 10-29-2009 at 07:57 AM.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:46 PM
JK Freak

If you have the breather's up to the top of the snorkle, you might as well fit it with an additional breather tube that routes back to the cab for your mouth to fit on so you can breath easily too... a para-scope would be useful for plotting your course I'd imagine too

Quick Reply: Anyone raise their breathers to the top of their snorkel?