Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Pro-Comp Xtreme A/T - Excessive Hydroplaning?

Old 10-14-2009, 06:08 AM
bkw
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pro-Comp Xtreme A/T - Excessive Hydroplaning?

I recently moved to an 'agressive' A/T tire from running strictly mud tires and have noticed that the ProComp xtreme A/T's hydroplane quite excessively.

I was in the left lane doing about 50mph and hit a little bit of standing water (small long puddle) under the drivers side tires and all of a sudden the tires began to hydroplane and pull very hard to the left - towards the center median!

I stayed in the center lane for the remainder of the trip and still noticed that I'd keep pulling to either the left or right with every puddle.

Is it due to the tires being wide, flat with close spacing of lugs, unlike mud tires with decent size voids between lugs? Any other owners notice this? Is there anything I can do to reduce this?
Old 10-14-2009, 06:17 AM
JK Newbie

Wow! I'm really glad to see someone else post about this. I have the Xtreme AT (35x12.50x17) and with all the rain we've had lately I've nearly killed myself. I've never driven another tire that hydroplaned this much! It honestly scares the heck out of me and I've been looking into a new tire. I only have about 5K miles on these tires but I still think I might get rid of them and go with a mud terrain.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:30 AM
JK Newbie

nitto mud grapplers and super swamper Irocs work good in rain. I have micky mtz now and there ok .
Old 10-14-2009, 06:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

i ran the xtreme a/t for about 5000 miles and never noticed it to be any worse than other tires i've had.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:43 AM
JK Freak

i got the regular Procomp AT and they are great in rain , but they hydroplane a bit if they are overinflated (over 45PSI), maybe the extreme AT got the same issue

i run them a 35psi and no problem !
Old 10-14-2009, 06:48 AM
JK Jedi Master

I run these on my F250 pulling my jeep on a trailer. I've never had any issues.

Are you guys just not use to rain?
Old 10-14-2009, 06:50 AM
JK Jedi Master

standing waters going to throw any vehicle around.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:54 AM
JK Newbie

I live in Louisiana so I'm pretty used to the rain, I've just never had a set of tires do it this bad. It barely takes any water before I'm sliding with these and couple that with the terrible louisiana roads and you're asking for trouble.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:56 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by jdahlum
I live in Louisiana so I'm pretty used to the rain, I've just never had a set of tires do it this bad. It barely takes any water before I'm sliding with these and couple that with the terrible louisiana roads and you're asking for trouble.
yeah, i should have excluded you.

what PSI are you running?
Old 10-14-2009, 06:57 AM
JK Newbie

I cant say anything about the AT's because for the last 2 sets I've had the Xtreme MT's on my Jeep which I really like the characteristics on and offroad. However I can say the BFG AT/KO is a great tire for all weather/all season tire. My wife has them on her Jeep now and I had them on both my Cherokee and my Expedition when I lived in Denver.

Quick Reply: Pro-Comp Xtreme A/T - Excessive Hydroplaning?