Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

410 gears with 35" tires

Old 10-14-2009, 06:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 410 gears with 35" tires

I am running 33's now and want 35's, who is running 35's with an auto trans?

Are you happy with it?
Old 10-14-2009, 06:20 AM
JK Newbie

I'm just about to upgrade to Rubi axle assemblies with 4.10's and I'll be running 35's. I'm currently running 35's with 3.73s and its not horrible but its pretty darn sluggish. Getting to 60 is not so much of a problem but anything above that is tough and maintaining speed on a small incline causes the Jeep to hunt for the right gear the whole time. I'm going to upgrade to 4.88 or 5.13 as soon as I get everything installed.

Last edited by jdahlum; 10-14-2009 at 06:25 AM.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:25 AM
JK Newbie

4.88 would be best all around 5.13 if your off road alot
Old 10-14-2009, 06:43 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ran 35s in my rubi for almost two years, while not great I didn't feel the need to regear, I have moved up to 37s and that's a different story..........
Old 10-14-2009, 06:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just put 35s on mine and I have the auto with 4.10 gears.

I was a little worried about acceleration loss after reading some posts on here but I have to say it's really not bad at all with the 4.10 gears. I've only driven around town at this point though, and haven't taken it up to 70 on the highway yet but so far I'm happy with it.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:04 AM
JK Freak

Hmmm, I read some of the "ahh it's ok and I trip." I had 4.10s with 35s for almost 2 years and hated every minute of it. I finally switched to 5.13s and wish I went with 5.38s.

4.10s on steep mountain roads are downright dangerous and you'll need a trans cooler for sure. I had 18 wheelers bearin down on me as I was pinned in 2nd going back and forth between 1st and 2nd watching the trans temp go ever higher.

I guess if you're around town and don't do much freeway or mountain driving you'd be ok, but offroad (on rocky uphills), in the mountains, or lots of freeway and you'll be saving coin for an upgrade.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:15 AM
JK Newbie

Maybe you shouold have gotten the 6spd manual. I have no problems on hills with the 35's and 4.10s. I've been through some pretty long grades, steep grades, and getting up to speed on the freeway and no issues. Granted I'm not going through the I70 corridor in Colorado anymore but I just haven't had the issues.

Funny side note is I've been reading threads for a long time before I started posting replies and I must have some miracle JK because all the complaints I see about power loss and bad gas mileage I haven't experienced yet. I use the word yet very loose but my Jeep runs great.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:32 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RCJeeper
Hmmm, I read some of the "ahh it's ok and I trip." I had 4.10s with 35s for almost 2 years and hated every minute of it. I finally switched to 5.13s and wish I went with 5.38s.

4.10s on steep mountain roads are downright dangerous and you'll need a trans cooler for sure. I had 18 wheelers bearin down on me as I was pinned in 2nd going back and forth between 1st and 2nd watching the trans temp go ever higher.

I guess if you're around town and don't do much freeway or mountain driving you'd be ok, but offroad (on rocky uphills), in the mountains, or lots of freeway and you'll be saving coin for an upgrade.
I do agree...IMHO, 5.13's should be the minimal ratio's with 35's. For the majority, our mileage comes from daily driving. I am running an Auto with 4.88's and 35's for over a year now and I don't feel its that great (even with Flashpaq tunes which begets a whole 'nother 'trippin' conversation regarding real/perceived claims) - and why I'm skipping the $12-1300 5.13 step and going directly to 5.38's. I'm not looking for a rocketship, just one that won't get me run over getting onto the interstate or pulling a hill, or that my right calf is not twice the size of my left one due to manipulating the skinny pedal so much. Right now, slightest breeze or incline and it's downshifting, get into the up/down roads of either the Smokies or Rockies and you either decide to putt along at snails pace or seemingly run at 5k rpm up every incline. In the flat land (central FL; Denver/Brighton/Greeley, CO; Iowa, etc.) I didn't have any problems w/current setup (because you don't get all the downshifting) even pulling a 400 lb Aluma motorcycle trailer with 900+ lbs of bike/gear...or my 6'x12' enclosed trailer (6 roundtrips to/fro 34476 & 37391 zips)

..oh man... sorry for the length!! and good luck on whatever you decide or come up with!
Old 10-14-2009, 07:54 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WWJKD
I do agree...IMHO, 5.13's should be the minimal ratio's with 35's. For the majority, our mileage comes from daily driving. I am running an Auto with 4.88's and 35's for over a year now and I don't feel its that great (even with Flashpaq tunes which begets a whole 'nother 'trippin' conversation regarding real/perceived claims) - and why I'm skipping the $12-1300 5.13 step and going directly to 5.38's. I'm not looking for a rocketship, just one that won't get me run over getting onto the interstate or pulling a hill, or that my right calf is not twice the size of my left one due to manipulating the skinny pedal so much. Right now, slightest breeze or incline and it's downshifting, get into the up/down roads of either the Smokies or Rockies and you either decide to putt along at snails pace or seemingly run at 5k rpm up every incline. In the flat land (central FL; Denver/Brighton/Greeley, CO; Iowa, etc.) I didn't have any problems w/current setup (because you don't get all the downshifting) even pulling a 400 lb Aluma motorcycle trailer with 900+ lbs of bike/gear...or my 6'x12' enclosed trailer (6 roundtrips to/fro 34476 & 37391 zips)

..oh man... sorry for the length!! and good luck on whatever you decide or come up with!
I concur that 5.13s are a very good match for 35's with an auto transmission. Even 5.38's are a good choice for a dd. The 6 spd allows you more flexibility so you can even "get away with" 4.10s.

There are a number of threads regarding this topic.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:40 AM
JK Junkie

well it doesnt bother me enough to spend the money for gears...... Not only that I thought that 5.13 ring or pinion is inhearantly weak?

Quick Reply: 410 gears with 35" tires