Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lift Dilema

Old 10-17-2009, 02:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift Dilema

Hey Gang

Bit of a dilema, I currently have a RC 2.5 coil and shock lift on my jeep - I have only had the lift on for about 5 months and already my rear coils are compressed, bad, almost 4 coils on each side touching at the top. RC sent me a new set, but when I looked at them today they are identical to the ones that are on there, so my guess is it is probably going to happen again. The ride has gotten really rough, and when I am towing my boat it is worse, I am working on the issue with them right now but need some help., or suggestions.

1. Can I get different coil springs for the rear and leave the rest of the lift alone, other than this I have had no issues with it, if I can what would be the best replacement?
2. Should I put the stock coils back on with spacers?
3. Should I pull it off, send it back, and go with a different lift? and finally,

4. If I go with a different lift, what reccomendations can you make for a 2.5" - 3" lift? I would like to go with new coils and shocks if I can.

I still have the stock tires on and plan on eventually going to 33's when they wear out, I don't do a lot of off roading but when I go I would like to be confident in the lift that is on my jeep, and during duck season I pull my boat a lot (small boat with a tongue weight of about 300lbs). I may have a lead on a Black Diamond 3" lift, but haven't found a whole lot of information on them, and I am going to be pretty picky if a new lift is required.

Thanks for any feedback or idea's.
Clint
Old 10-17-2009, 02:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

You're not the only one on here that has reported the same problem.

As far as replacements, you could simply replace your rears, but all brands are different, and as a result, ride differently.

If I were you, I would replace all 4 coils with either TF 2.5" coils, or OME coils. Which OME coil depends on your weight and future plans. I did read that you tow a boat. If you go OME, you may want to consider the HD coils for the added control/weight handling during towing. These would yield you around 3 - 3 1/4" of lift. the LD coils would put you in the 2.5" range.

Call David at Northridge. He'll square you up
Old 10-17-2009, 03:45 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by swanny297
Hey Gang

Bit of a dilema, I currently have a RC 2.5 coil and shock lift on my jeep - I have only had the lift on for about 5 months and already my rear coils are compressed, bad, almost 4 coils on each side touching at the top. RC sent me a new set, but when I looked at them today they are identical to the ones that are on there, so my guess is it is probably going to happen again. The ride has gotten really rough, and when I am towing my boat it is worse, I am working on the issue with them right now but need some help., or suggestions.

1. Can I get different coil springs for the rear and leave the rest of the lift alone, other than this I have had no issues with it, if I can what would be the best replacement?
2. Should I put the stock coils back on with spacers?
3. Should I pull it off, send it back, and go with a different lift? and finally,

4. If I go with a different lift, what reccomendations can you make for a 2.5" - 3" lift? I would like to go with new coils and shocks if I can.

I still have the stock tires on and plan on eventually going to 33's when they wear out, I don't do a lot of off roading but when I go I would like to be confident in the lift that is on my jeep, and during duck season I pull my boat a lot (small boat with a tongue weight of about 300lbs). I may have a lead on a Black Diamond 3" lift, but haven't found a whole lot of information on them, and I am going to be pretty picky if a new lift is required.

Thanks for any feedback or idea's.
Clint
I ended up going with a new set of 4door rubicon springs from the dealer and rough country's 2 1/2" spacer lift because I really couldnt decide on which lift to get in the three inch range. I dont regret my decision at all and probly will never go with a different set of springs.

It rides excelent, with less body roll and brake dive as the stock X springs while not being harsh over bumps. I ended up with a little more than 3 1/4" lift which is perfect for my 35's. Might be a little tall for stock tire size though. Might be something to think about for you.

If your trying to stay around the two inch range the Rustys two inch coils might do the trick. Not sure how much actual lift you will get out of them but I would think 2 1/2 to 3 inches would be about right. They are pretty reasonable too at about $220 a set.

On a side not if you do go with a different set of springs that get you more than 2.5" lift you will have to change your shocks. I ordered a set of 2.2's from RC telling them I had a little over 3 inches of lift and they sent me the ones for the 2.5 inch lift. With the shock fully extended they would only allow for a little over one inch of axle drop from static height. Got a set for a four inch lift and they are perfect. I am very pleased with the 2.2's with the rest of the components on the jeep as well
Old 10-17-2009, 03:52 PM
JK Freak

go with a TF 2.5 you will not be disapointed. Just hot mine and the parts are beefy.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:26 PM
JK Newbie

I lucked out from reading all the feed back about thier springs and went teraflex.I also hear OME HD springs are worth the money too.Good luck.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:31 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Bombs671
I lucked out from reading all the feed back about thier springs and went teraflex.I also hear OME HD springs are worth the money too.Good luck.
... Nothing against RC, but I too read a lot of feedback in the forum about the springs compressing...I was going to get the RC 2.5" coil lift, but now I have decided to go with TeraFlex (either the 2.5 coil lift or 3" coil lift w/flex arms)
Old 10-17-2009, 09:13 PM
JK Junkie

Just go with the Teraflex. You won't be disappointed and the customer assistance is awesome!
Old 10-18-2009, 06:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recommend OME HD springs...I like mine
Old 10-18-2009, 07:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Thanks

Thanks for the replies - I did a little research yesterday and I think this is what I am going to do for the interim - I am either going to go with a set of Teraflex coils or OME coils, and just replace the rears for right now, knowing that in the near future they need to be mated up with the correct fronts.

I have another question - I have been reading a lot about 2.5-3.0" inch lifts, all of the ones I have looked at come with longer sway bar links for the rear, the RC kit did not - could this be a contributor by the fact that there is always more force on the coils even when not loaded? The shorter sway bar links won't let it relax, or am I just way off and this has nothing to do with it.

Again thanks - I am happy with RC's 2.2 shocks so I don't think I am going to swap out the lift just yet - eventually I want to go a little taller so I would rather wait until that time to do a complete swap.

Clint
Old 10-18-2009, 08:12 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I have another question - I have been reading a lot about 2.5-3.0" inch lifts, all of the ones I have looked at come with longer sway bar links for the rear, the RC kit did not - could this be a contributor by the fact that there is always more force on the coils even when not loaded? The shorter sway bar links won't let it relax, or am I just way off and this has nothing to do with it.
No, the issue is the coils. Whether it is the design or the material or whatever, it is the coil and not the links. Plenty of other threads indicating that they know it is an issue and are working to get some new coils into production.

As far as the lack of rear links go, it is an 'incomplete' low priced kit to get you some height. (not a dig on RC, as many other companies sell incomplete kits as well) People need to look past the price and start comparing components so they know what they are getting, and what they may want to add on at some point.

Quick Reply: Lift Dilema