Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

37's on D30's?

Old 10-17-2009, 08:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 37's on D30's?

Anyone running 37's on the D30? I'm deciding between 35's and 37's but don't know if D30 can handle it. I hear it's not a good idea but I'd like to hear from those who actually ran this size tire on the D30 and experienced any breakage or other issues.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:24 PM
JK Junkie

C gussets, sleeves and track bar bracket reinforcement is what i've seen "recommended"
Old 10-18-2009, 03:29 AM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes there are some, add some chromoly shafts to the list above.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:10 AM
JK Freak

Add a truss to that list also and I cryogenically treated my axle shafts so far so good I know this is only temporary fix until I come up with some kinda homebrew axle.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:11 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

LOL!! honestly, i don't know why everyone thinks that just because you install sleeves and guessets that you can suddenly run 37's on a dana 30. your axle C's or tube bending is really the least of your concerns as neither will prevent you from getting home or from driving in general.

fact of the matter is, your u-joints breaking is the most likely thing you will suffer running 37's even if you're running chromoly shafts but breaking the shaft itself isn't that far off either. of course, assuming neither of those break, you're ring & pinion are sure to go especially if you're running a higher gear ratio to compensate for the tire size. and, if that doesn't break, your carrier and spider gears are the weak point.

BTW - here's a shot of my old dana 44 chromoly shaft that i broke while wheeling with 37's....

As you can see, the axle blew just above the splines...

and this is what the break did to my carrier bearings...

To make things worse, the front axle tube where the seal goes on the driver side was totally mangled....

this effectively ruined my front axle and remember kids, this is a DANA 44 with chromoly shafts we're talking about. let me assure you, gussets and sleeves wouldn't have done squat to prevent this and a dana 30 is WEAKER. of course, if you don't wheel your jeep very hard, you should be able to get away with a 30.

Last edited by wayoflife; 10-18-2009 at 07:15 AM.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:22 AM
JK Freak

a picture worth 1000 words

D30 +35 + 4.88 + full throttle =

Old 10-18-2009, 07:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Good lord. That is some serious carnage.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Geez, I hope my decision to put the $ into my D30 was a good one. Can't pull off D 60's for a while!

Last edited by CTNEDGE; 10-18-2009 at 07:48 AM.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:43 AM
JK Freak

the picture of the destroyed D30 is not mine , but the owner also destroy a rubiD44, he is a bit too rough on his JK, he got 2 speed, off and full throttle
Old 10-18-2009, 08:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

There's a big gaping hole in this... The ENTIRE front end of the vehicle suffers. Forget the guts of the axle. They're easy and obvious -- Superiors and CTMs and you've got tough axles. The carrier and gears are still tiny and get pummelled when things let go. And they also get pummelled when things DON'T let go when they should.

The housings can be gussetted to be better, but you still have a TINY ball joint that is taking a wicked beating. D44 or D30. You have a small unitized bearing that's nonserviceable. Get em wet and they die fast.

And then there's the steering. Without hydro assist, you can't steer big tires in big rocks. Assist is hard on ball joints and tie rod ends. Without the assist, all that pressure is on the drag link and steering box. The little steering box isn't capable of holding 37s in a bind without showing some damage in a big hurry.

Front track bar? Rip off the frame if you get unlucky.

Getting the sense that this may not be as easy as you had hoped? Depends a lot on your intended usage. If you want to go run the bunny trails, a LOT of this doesn't apply. If you want to get off the porch and run with the big dogs, you need to be addressing your car like a system, not individual components.

Quick Reply: 37's on D30's?