Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

ESP issue in right turns

Old 10-18-2009, 07:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESP issue in right turns

Yes, I have read all the posts about centering the steering wheel and installing adjustable front LCA to correct caster. I've done both and the ESP is fine until a sharp right turn. I can't make it kick on a left turn but every right clover exit or tight right curve it kicks on (but oddly not left turns). I live in the mountains and it is driving me crazy. I don't want to disable it because my wife sometimes drives it and I like to think it would help her avoid a roll over.

Would an adjustable track bar help? Any other suggestions? I've had it alligned twice.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:52 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what you described it would be the clock sensor in the steering column malfunctioning. There are write-ups here how to make sure the steering wheel is centered per the sensor. Do that, if it still does it the sensor will have to be replaced.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Air pressure

I had the same problem on my 2007 2D X. The Jeep came with P225 tires but I upgraded to a slightly larger P245. I was running them at 35PSI and I kept having the ESP kick on in right turns on the freeway.

I lowered the air pressure to 32PSI and the problem went away. I think the right rear tire was "skittering" on the asphalt and airing it down a bit helped to stop that.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Basically Fixed

New Steering column, both upper and lower, substantially fixed the problem for some unknown reason and airing down the tires did the rest. Based upon other threads, I took Jeep to dealer before warranty expired and described the steering hitch or "knock" problem - they replaced the whole column. Steering was dramatically improved and as a Bonus it basically fixed the ESP issue and airing down the tires took care of the rest.

Side Note, the mechanic indicated that the column was "within spec" for heat ratings but noted that the boot is close to the manifold which may be a cause for the reported issues. I put a heat sheild on the column - no more problems.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:34 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WNCJEEP
I put a heat sheild on the column - no more problems.
Do you have a pic of this?

Quick Reply: ESP issue in right turns