Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: Should I let dealer install my lift?
Heck yeah, they can't blame you then.
13.00%
No way, do it yourself for the satisfaction and knowledge.
74.00%
Get and indy guy who knows what they're doing.
13.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Should I let my dealer install my lift?

Old 10-19-2009, 05:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Should I let my dealer install my lift?

Hey guys, I'm a little on the fence about my lift install. On the one hand, I want to try to install the lift myself so I can get a first hand experience with the lift and how it all works. On the other hand, should I have the dealer install so if I encounter problems, the dealer can't place blame with me should anything be affected by the install from a warranty perspective. Plus, I don't trust my dealership all that much. Most Jeeps around me are stock and I don't see too many modded Jeeps coming out of my dealership. I'm afraid they're more comfortable on servicing mini-vans and stock vehicles. I'll have to ask them some questions before I get comfortable with them doing it. What are your thoughts?
Old 10-19-2009, 05:17 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally, I wouldn't let my dealer install anything on my jeep. For one they probably charge more than any other shop in town and allowing them to install the lift will not guarantee your warranty. If you have the tools, a mobile computer for the write ups, and a buddy to help it would be funner and more of a learning experience to do it yourself. Plus you have the personal satisfaction and bragging rights for doing it your self. That's not counting the experience to know how to fix something it and or when it goes wrong.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:17 PM
JK Freak

honestly i wouldn't do it. #1 the $, and 2. sometimes depending on the dealership those guys don't know what they're doing when it comes to lifted jeeps
Old 10-19-2009, 05:24 PM
JK Junkie

Definitely install it yourself. If you are hesitant to do it by yourself you usually can find someone on the forum close to help.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Robar
Personally, I wouldn't let my dealer install anything on my jeep. For one they probably charge more than any other shop in town and allowing them to install the lift will not guarantee your warranty. If you have the tools, a mobile computer for the write ups, and a buddy to help it would be funner and more of a learning experience to do it yourself. Plus you have the personal satisfaction and bragging rights for doing it your self. That's not counting the experience to know how to fix something it and or when it goes wrong.
That's my gut as well. I saw some guys had theirs installed by dealers and hope they chime in. Want to know their experience from a warranty and if they had any problems with dealer installation. But I'm agreeing with ya.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Im not all that confident that are competent at all!!
Old 10-19-2009, 05:32 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

The warranty is up to the installing dealer, not Chrysler. Chrysler is fairly specific that no aftermarket parts are warrantied, regardless of who installs them.

The only people that can tell you any info on a warranty will be your local dealer. (be sure to get the answer in writing!) And even if that dealer will warranty it, what happens when you break while on a wheeling trip, or driving cross country, or...

Last edited by nthinuf; 10-19-2009 at 05:36 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by woodweavil
Im not all that confident that are competent at all!!
Yeah, in talking with one of the guys in the service dept at my local dealer earlier about lifts, gearing and tires etc. he was like, "why do you want to put bigger tires on that for?" I was like, "uh...okay...you know it's a Jeep, right?" So no, I'm not too confident about this particular dealer installing my lift.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by nthinuf
The warranty is up to the installing dealer, not Chrysler. Chrysler is fairly specific that no aftermarket parts are warrantied, regardless of who installs them.

The only people that can tell you any info on a warranty will be your local dealer. And be sure to get the answer in writing!
I don't expect them to warranty any of my aftermarket parts but I expect them to warranty any Jeep part that requires warranty work NOT caused by my aftermarket parts. Some dealers just flat out void your warranty if you just put a part that's not Mopar on your ride. Case in point, when I asked the service guy if I change out my gearing to accomodate larger tires, if that would void my warranty and he said yes. I said putting larger tires requires gearing changes so the engine and other drivetrain parts don't get wore out. He said that's tampering with the drive train. I called BS on that. If the aftermarket gear does not cause the warranty issue, it should be covered. If it does then, I'll pay. Right?
Old 10-19-2009, 05:39 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by renpia
Yeah, in talking with one of the guys in the service dept at my local dealer earlier about lifts, gearing and tires etc. he was like, "why do you want to put bigger tires on that for?" I was like, "uh...okay...you know it's a Jeep, right?" So no, I'm not too confident about this particular dealer installing my lift.
Uh, think you just answered your own question on this one bud, do it yourself, you'll pay more attention to detail than anyone else. Cause you gotta drive it, you'll double and triple check everything, can't say they'll do the same.

Quick Reply: Should I let my dealer install my lift?