Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

37 inch tire dilemna

Old 10-23-2009, 04:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 37 inch tire dilemna

Hey Guys,

I am about to mount 37s on 17X8.5 AEV argent pintlers and am in a dilemna. I am on the east coast and will be taking my "07 JK Unlimted 4-door w/ 4" terraflex lift almost entirely in the sand, on beaches from New Jersey down to the Carolinas. I heard that Pro Comp Xteme ATs are great for sand, but the tire dealer told me that they have run short compared to other 37s. Do you guys have any guidance you can give me on the truth of that statement?

I heard that Goodyear Kevlar MTRs are a taller tire, so also want to know from you guys if those would compromise the ability to wheel in sand as well as the on road ride quality in terms of noise etc. (I have a 200 plus mile drive to the beach every weekend) for a more aggressive look. Really value your opinion here...ProComp Xreme ATs or Goodyear Kevlar MTRs??? Thanks for your advice guys!
Old 10-23-2009, 05:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would take the Goodyears over the procomps without a doubt.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:56 PM
JK Super Freak

x2 id go with the goodyears
Old 10-23-2009, 06:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default both...

I have the ProComp XAT ( 33's ) and they are hard to beat for daily driving, sand, or fire roads. I also have a set of cooper STT for winter and wheeling. If I didn't get such a deal on the Coopers I would have chosen the Kevlar MTR....
Old 10-23-2009, 06:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've got 35" PC XAT's and I'm really happy with them. However, I'm tentatively planning to go with the Goodyear Kevlars once the pro comp's wear out. Not because I'm unhappy at all with the pro comps, but rather to try a different tire and have heard nother but good things about the new goodyears. The Goodyears also got extremely extensive testing and good reviews in the Ultimate Adventure in Peterson's Four wheel drive magazine.

The only potential downside that I really can't comment on and also haven't heard much input either way, is I'm not sure how the Goodyears compare to the Pro Comps in terms of mileage. The Pro Comps are rated for 40k miles. This is part of the reason I went with the XAT's...unfortunately my Jeep spends way more time on the pavement than it does on the trails.

Just my two cents.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:57 PM
JK Freak

i'm running pro comp MT's, and would be hard pressed to go against them.. no idea about sand tho
Old 10-24-2009, 02:29 AM
JK Freak

I have the MTR Kevs in a 35 and you can feel the lugs a little bit on the road but that expected for a mud tire. I drive 170 mi a day and I really don't mind it. It seems like there is a sweet spot right around 73 mph that they ride real nice.
I know this dosen't help you for your answer on the sand part of your question. They are a close to true size tire,mine measured in at 34 7/8 with 45 lbs in them on the Jeep (stupid tire place) I aired them down to 30 and they measure 34 1/2 -34 5/8 it's real close. Good luck with your choice.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:44 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by zook
I have the MTR Kevs in a 35 and you can feel the lugs a little bit on the road but that expected for a mud tire. I drive 170 mi a day and I really don't mind it. It seems like there is a sweet spot right around 73 mph that they ride real nice.
I know this dosen't help you for your answer on the sand part of your question. They are a close to true size tire,mine measured in at 34 7/8 with 45 lbs in them on the Jeep (stupid tire place) I aired them down to 30 and they measure 34 1/2 -34 5/8 it's real close. Good luck with your choice.
Same thing happened to me, they put 49lbs in the rear and 42 up front. Yet the tire states 35PSI MAX. Guess we call can't read. Got them down to 30, ride perfect.

Goodyear Wrangler MT/R Kevlar in 35s BTW.

Quick Reply: 37 inch tire dilemna