Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

swaybar question......

Old 10-26-2009, 02:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default swaybar question......

when i try to lift my swaybar up and out of the way while disconnecting, it gets hung up on the round tubing that sticks out from the frame. it is almost impossible to get back and forth over that point. i had to use a hammer yesterday to get it done. is this normal??? i think i am going to grind some off of the sticking point. any ideas or suggestions?
Old 10-26-2009, 02:16 PM
JK Junkie

Do you have a pic at all?
Old 10-26-2009, 08:23 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by cpray
when i try to lift my swaybar up and out of the way while disconnecting, it gets hung up on the round tubing that sticks out from the frame. it is almost impossible to get back and forth over that point. i had to use a hammer yesterday to get it done. is this normal??? i think i am going to grind some off of the sticking point. any ideas or suggestions?
I have the same thing going on....my sway bar hit in ON-ROAD situations where it swings up a bit. I am going to grind it down...I know I know it'll void my warranty.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by john smack
Do you have a pic at all?
If you have pic it will help out alot. I'm trying to picture this at the top of my head If you are talking about the circle (that your coils sit inside of) then I suppose you could grind down. I don't know how you're having this problem. Another possible solution is perhaps investing in longer disconnects that can reach the top pin without having to move your sway bar past the coil holder. Kind of understand what I'm saying?
Old 10-31-2009, 08:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Can't imagine the problem either. But, if it's being a problem just take it off completely when you wheel. With most discos that actually takes less time than tieing it up.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:57 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wernt by and saw what cpray was talking about. The RE disco's require you to flip the swaybar up high in order for the links to mount on their disco perch which is to the front . Imagine discoing and pushing your swaybar straight up. There is a hole in the frame that has a lip on it that sticks out. Even with the axle centered the swaybar does not go past it easily at all. Only solution I see is to grind that lip down abit. Don't know what that hole/lip is there for anyway, maybe an assembly mount to hold the frame or something when it was being built.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:50 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can someone take a pic of this, i had the RE discos and never had problems like that. only problem i had was bottom bracket kept bending, so replaced discos with jks

oh and something else, you should not be moving the sway bar up when disconected. leave it level. and when you are conected it should be level or close to it, i think it is +/- 5 degrees

Last edited by captjay; 11-01-2009 at 06:56 AM.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:20 AM
JK Jedi Master

Maybe cpray can take a pic and show whats going on, it's hard to relay it on here.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

I know exactly what you are talking about. Double check your track bar and make sure your diff is centered on the jeep. This will cause the sway bar to move to one side and follow the diff causing this problem. The sway bar floats on the bushings and can move back and forth easily.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:46 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by PeeJ_Zip
I know exactly what you are talking about. Double check your track bar and make sure your diff is centered on the jeep. This will cause the sway bar to move to one side and follow the diff causing this problem. The sway bar floats on the bushings and can move back and forth easily.
It hit's on both sides equally, I thought the same thing initially ,for others, here's a pic of my jk , not the RE kit, but you can see that hole with the lip. Maybe his axle is to far forward??? Causing where that bend in the swaybar is to hit???
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Coil2.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	32276  

Quick Reply: swaybar question......