Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

diff breather

Old 07-04-2007, 10:51 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diff breather

am i right in thinking that the jk has extended breathers from the diffs? after i got bogged on the weekend i was concerned that maybe some water had got into the diff through the breather. someone has since told me that they have extended breathers so i shouldn't worry too much. is this true? if so how far up do they reach? how far above the diff casing do they reach. the water in the bog hole came to roughly 4 inches below the top of the rear tyre on the driver's side (the car was leaning some towards the drivers side), thanks everyone for such a lively, good natured forum
Old 07-04-2007, 11:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

i dont know for sure but ive had water 3/4 of the way up my door and havent had any diff problems.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, both diffs have breathers on them. They are black fuel line type hoses with a plastic tip that closes when water gets to them. I didn't trust trust them so I extended all the breather lines(diff and trans) to a breather box in the engine compartment. If you had water up to the middle of your door you better check your fluids for water before there is a failure just to be safe.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yep i filled mine pretty good and plan on extented the lines aswell...one of many things the factory didn't do right...
Old 07-05-2007, 08:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

I went and bought all new hose and two hose clamps for at the axle, and ran them higher then stock.
I ran the front to the top of the firewall and zip tied it to the brake booster line.
The rear is ran up behind the passenger side tail light and zip tied to the lights wire harness.

Last edited by Eracer76; 07-06-2007 at 07:41 AM.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

well luids are good so far but im going to extend my lines asap just in case
Old 07-06-2007, 03:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

good post but never thought of looking and extending till now. I shall have something to do this weekend
Old 07-06-2007, 04:37 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just assumed mine were. They were in my TJ.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:57 AM
JK Freak

you guys extending these from the line or from the diff all the way up?
Old 07-06-2007, 06:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tgrt
I just assumed mine were. They were in my TJ.
The ones in the JK are extended some. The front one goes up the driver side shock tower.
The rear goes up and lays on top of the frame by the passenger rear tire, (not very high IMO), I had my passenger rear tire completely under water/mud last weekend, its good thing I put longer lines on!

Originally Posted by CarFanatic
you guys extending these from the line or from the diff all the way up?
I took off the stock lines and just added new longer ones instead of splicing them and extending them, which is just another point were it could possibly leak.

I also used hose clamps on the hose were it hooks to the diff for a tighter seal. Then I re-used the stock white breather caps on the end of the new hoses.

Last edited by Eracer76; 07-06-2007 at 07:42 AM.

Quick Reply: diff breather