Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Do U realy need the interface module to do aftermarket stereo

Old 09-09-2010, 12:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do U realy need the interface module to do aftermarket stereo

Do U really need that $125.00 interface box to install an aftermarket sterio. Cant you just run a power cable to the baterie . My jk is all manual ,(no stering wheel controlls,blue tooth , or anything fancy,no amp,no sub.) I have carpet and floor mats,manual windows,and door locks, and thats it . Its a plane jane JK Jeep.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

You don't need it. The one thing that you will need to do if your aftermarket radio needs an ignition/ACC wire to turn it on, is to tap into the wire on the left power socket. The stock radios don't have an ignition wire running to them, because they're turned on by the can bus.

So one of the things the kit does is just turn the can bus messages into an ignition control....but you can just as well use the cigarette lighter power since it is also ignition switch controlled.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default did you do this

did you do this , or do you know someone who did this
Old 09-09-2010, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by hardcoreoffroad
did you do this , or do you know someone who did this
No, I didn't do it but I pretty much know the functioning of the Chrysler audio systems from top to bottom and inside and out......I have a pretty elaborate audio system in my JK which includes A MyGig, 3 aftermarket amplifiers, an additional OEM amp, Subs, and rear video displays.....those things just didn't connect together by themselves, turn on and off together and function all together by themselves.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:06 PM
JK Freak

Red is right if you buy the cheap metra kit there's no box or anything and u just have to get the ignition from another location buy the cheap plug it's only 15 then u aren't hacking to much this is if you don't have the infinity setup
Old 09-09-2010, 03:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could wire it all yourself but you would need a Switched power, Ground, Memory (Constant), possibly reverse and dimmer.

The wiring harness you would need is the Metra XSVI-6522. There are others made by PAC and Scosche but I don't know their part numbers. The Metra is $40 - $50 right now. It is THE easiest way.

I am not a fan of cutting the factory harness.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default plane am/fm/cd sterio

Originally Posted by mattymat04
Red is right if you buy the cheap metra kit there's no box or anything and u just have to get the ignition from another location buy the cheap plug it's only 15 then u aren't hacking to much this is if you don't have the infinity setup
I just have the plain am/fm/cd sterio
Old 09-10-2010, 12:03 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by hardcoreoffroad
I just have the plain am/fm/cd sterio
The only problem you should have if you don't get a kit is properly toggling the light display on your radio. Normal radio connections like lights on/off, Dimmer control, Ignition on/off, reverse, and parking status are not sent on individual analog control wires. These are all done via a single digital Can bus communications with the factory head units. What these interfaces that you can buy do, are to translate these can bus messages into analog control signals which your aftermarket radio can use.

So what you could do with a regular aftermarket radio is just tie the Ignition and Light signals to the cigarette lighter power wire which is turned on/off with the ignition key. The radio will function properly, the only drawback will be that the light display will remain on during the day when your lights are not turned on and it wouldn't dim when you adjust your dimmer control.

You can get the BATT and GND, as well as your speaker connections from the factory radio wire harness for your aftermarket radio to connect to.

Last edited by Rednroll; 09-10-2010 at 12:07 AM.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:36 PM
JK Newbie

Quick question... If you do have the premium infinity system, are you then required to purchase the $125 interface?? If so, why is it required? Is it so you can hook up your subwoofer and amplifier? Any help is appreciated... i just purchased a pioneer double din and would like it installed asap so I;d like to know what will be required for install! Thx
Old 11-05-2013, 05:48 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by srtnation
Quick question... If you do have the premium infinity system, are you then required to purchase the $125 interface?? If so, why is it required? Is it so you can hook up your subwoofer and amplifier? Any help is appreciated... i just purchased a pioneer double din and would like it installed asap so I;d like to know what will be required for install! Thx
. You can find the PAC interface for half that on Amazon or eBay. I would suggest it to keep steering wheel controls and integration with the pesky CanBus.

Quick Reply: Do U realy need the interface module to do aftermarket stereo