Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

I want to add a subwoofer and amp in addition to the stock Infinity setup

Old 09-27-2010, 01:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want to add a subwoofer and amp in addition to the stock Infinity setup

So I have the Infinity setup with the 8 inch sub in my rig already. I want to add a 12 inch sub and amp that I have had from my past vehicle but just trying to figure out how to go about this. Any advice or anyone who has already done this please give some input.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had the same thing left over from my k5 just get a high low converter cut in to stock speaker wire under dash by your pedals and all other amp wires and u should be good . Hope it helps
Old 09-27-2010, 02:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Or you can use the PAC C2A-CHY2 add an amp adapter. Plugs in between the radio and the amp and provides 2 pairs of RCA outs for another amp. This is what I used and it works well.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:58 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by blazenjeep420
I had the same thing left over from my k5 just get a high low converter cut in to stock speaker wire under dash by your pedals and all other amp wires and u should be good . Hope it helps
So all I have to splice is the regular speaker wire that goes to one of the speakers on the sport bar?
So will I have to also have to splice the remote cable also?
Old 09-27-2010, 05:00 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it was me, I would just put a line converter on your sub speaker wires and use it for the output. The soundbar is the last place I would grab sound because the bass in neutered there. I would use the fronts before that.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:05 PM
JK Freak

Default Amp

DOES NOT MATTER AMP IS JUST LOOKING FOR A SIGNAL. NEED HOT TO BATTERY GROUND TO ANY METAL AND REMOTE TO ANY POWER RCAs TO HIGH LOW THEN TO AMP...
Old 09-27-2010, 06:20 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you saying the input signal that the amp gets thru the RCA's does not matter? If so I am going to argue a little there. The amp just replicates the signal it is given. If you give it a signal that has had the bass limited like the rollbar speakers in the JK you are going to miss those lower bass notes. If you plug into the factory sub output for the new amp input you will get a signal that has already been crossed over, if you go thru the front you get a more full range signal. I would not go in front of the factory amp myself as I am not sure how the volume level is controlled. I know some adding aftermarket head units to the infinity amp have had volume control issues even with some converters made to fix it. I have not done it myself so I cannot say for sure.

I can say for 100% sure tho that the soundbar and the front do not have the same signal going into them from the amp.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:40 PM
JK Freak

in that case i went threw the front and have good bass did not have factory sub or amp so may b a little different on those with sub and amp
Old 10-11-2010, 11:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Can you use a cheaper alternative converter than the PAC C2A-CHY2 add an amp adapter? I saw one at walmart for example that does the same but having to splice the wires yourself for half the price... Thanks
Old 10-11-2010, 04:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

What's the real difference with a PAC converter vs line out adapter ??

Quick Reply: I want to add a subwoofer and amp in addition to the stock Infinity setup