Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Old Man Emu Lift

Old 10-25-2010, 11:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old Man Emu Lift

I'm getting an OME HD installed this week, along with some 33's. I know it's a 2" lift but I've read of people getting closer to 3" or a little more.

My question is whether there is anything else I need to get done, or should I be fine with just the lift? I've read that at 3"+ you run in to driveshaft issues and whatnot. I've read a lot of the posts and threads on this site, but I'm still fairly challenged with these things.

So, what's your opinion?
Old 10-26-2010, 03:01 AM
JK Freak

Need more info..
Do you have a 2dr or 4dr?
What componants are included in your lift?
Old 10-26-2010, 04:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Might want to look into some lower control arms up front if you get flighty steering, but I'd drive it before I bought those. A rear trackbar bracket and an adjustable front trackbar to get your axles centered wouldn't hurt either.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:26 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well with the OME HD coil springs on my 4 door I got +3" of lift and that's with a winch and new heavy bumpers. Well, what I added to make the ride smoother was:

1) Adj TeraFlex front lower control arms
2) Adj front and rear JKS track bars
3) 2" bumpstops
4) Northridge Longer Rear swaybar links
5) brake line extensions
6) I kept my RE monoshocks from my 2" BB lift - but I recommend you get longer shocks vs. getting extensions.
7) You may want to consider coil spring retainers for the rear if you are going to be flexing lots. However, I did not go with this and have had zero issues of dropping a coil spring on the trail.

* Note I have a 6spd and did not have to worry about my driveshaft boot. However, if you have an auto make sure you have clearance for your Driveshaft boot near the transmission skidplate or you will be ripping it apart.

After this lift I had adjust my steering wheel again as the ESP lights were blinking like crazy. As well, I had to get a front end alignment and got my castor angle set on the front axle to remove the flightly steering at highway speeds (this is were the Adj control arms helped to get your castor back).
Old 10-26-2010, 10:23 AM
JK Newbie

The lift is through 4wheelparts. It comes with shocks, coils, coil spacers and rod extension bracket kit. It's for a 2 door. They are doing the install for me as well. The guy said I shouldn't need anything else with it, and confirmed with the coworker who has an 4 door JK as well. They also said they will be doing an alignment.

I will be getting a bumper and winch in the next few months to hopefully negate some of the lift. I haven't done a lot of off roading with it yet, but am planning to after I get the work down. I don't disconnect the sway bar or anything like that, but should I worry about brake lines? Is the driveshaft boot something I should look into getting replaced now or wait until I see how it looks with the lift?
Old 10-26-2010, 10:33 AM
JK Jedi

Ome HD springs and LT shocks..

sent from DroiD.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:35 AM
JK Newbie

Rinkishjk, how much lift did you actually get with the lift?
Old 10-26-2010, 10:40 AM
JK Jedi

I would say close to 4"... I had 35's on with a Tera level kit before the ome lift. Its quite a bit taller.. it looks perfect and rides great! Had to get rear grab handles so ppl could get in back..

sent from DroiD.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:41 AM
JK Jedi

Next to cars for comparison .. the White 1 is an a4.

sent from DroiD.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RinkishJK, this is a little off topic, but I see you list evo rock stars on your jeep. Do they work with the OME LT shocks?

Quick Reply: Old Man Emu Lift