Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Traded in my Cherokee SRT8 for a 2010 Wrangler unlimited

Old 10-26-2010, 11:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traded in my Cherokee SRT8 for a 2010 Wrangler unlimited

So I have been wrestling with it for months now but I finally went and traded in my 08 SRT-8 Grand Cherokee for a 2010 unlimited Sport S. I am no stranger to wheeling, I grew up in Oregon wheeling on weekends and after school. I come from a hard core jeep family! My mom has a jeep, my sister has a jeep and my dad has had a CJ among other Jeeps since I can remember.

He has been trying to convince me for years to get a wrangler but I spent the last 10 years in Germany where high speeds and environmentalist make for very limited off-roading. When I got back to the U.S. I bought my first Jeep (the SRT-8) and quickly found out that driving in the DC area is nothing like Germany and that having a “sport” Cherokee was a waste. I took my boys to the beach and was afraid to take the Cherokee on the beach in fear of getting stuck. So I pulled the trigger this weekend and besides a few annoyances (extreme lack of power being the major) I am extremely happy. Despite the lack of power I surprisingly had no issues climbing a fairly steep incline and navigating some ditches I found near my house.

Since Sunday I have been spending all my free time reading the forums and articles. The first thing I HAVE to do is different tires. More for cosmetic than function, I really hate the street tire look on a wrangler. I do have a few questions though. I keep going back and forth between 33” and 34” tires because of my 3.73 gearing. I am already not liking the lack of power and as much as I would love to re-gear, besides price tag of doing so, I don’t want to mess with the warranty too much. So re-gearing will be a ways down the road. I am still on the fence on this one.

Suspension lifts. I see a lot of really good things about the teraflex 2.5” with shocks. I have also seen good things about the RC 2.5” with shocks. Why is the RC half the price?

I am in Maryland near BWI. Are there any family friendly Jeep clubs? It’s just me and my two boys, 8 and 12 and they are ready to hit the trails and go camping lol.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:48 AM
JK Freak

35s if you have a 6 speed, trust me you wont regret it, your tire size is already 32ish, get the super chips flash pak and you'll be good, more power, adjust for size of tire and more.

conngrats on the wrangler
Old 10-26-2010, 12:09 PM
JK Freak

35s are not THAT bad with 3.73s on a 6 speed...I ran that for a while.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:16 PM
JK Newbie

Tahnks guys, It is a 6 speed and I seem to see alot of you all with the same general idea that its not THAT bad. I just have to decide if its worth to run it like that untill a re-gear. That and I dont want to go much higher than a 2.5" suspension lift and "maybe" a bit of a body lift in the future if needed. So I dont want tires that are too big.

What about the difference between the suspension lifts? Is the Terra flex worth the extra $300 or are you buying a name?
Old 10-26-2010, 04:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear what you're saying about the extreme lack of power. We have an SRT8 Grand Cherokee for my wife, and a Wrangler for myself. I drive my wife's SRT8, then get in my Wrangler, and even with my 5.38 gears it feels like the absolute DOG of the century. You have to remember that you are going from one of the very best driving machines in the world, to one of the very worst (on road). So if you notice the lack of power like I do, and it sounds that way, I would not go with more than a 33" or 34" tire if you cannot re-gear right away.

As for Teraflex vs RC, ... I thought there was a big difference in quality, and I went with Teraflex. I think you're getting more than a name.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:02 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MOPWR2U
I hear what you're saying about the extreme lack of power. We have an SRT8 Grand Cherokee for my wife, and a Wrangler for myself. I drive my wife's SRT8, then get in my Wrangler, and even with my 5.38 gears it feels like the absolute DOG of the century. You have to remember that you are going from one of the very best driving machines in the world, to one of the very worst (on road). So if you notice the lack of power like I do, and it sounds that way, I would not go with more than a 33" or 34" tire if you cannot re-gear right away.

As for Teraflex vs RC, ... I thought there was a big difference in quality, and I went with Teraflex. I think you're getting more than a name.
Yeah, the more I read the more I think I have my heart set on the Teraflex. It just seems like a more complete kit. My dad told me I would fall in love with this thing! And I think he is right. I am keeping an open mind. I dont need to race from light to light, just get to work and then play. I have a Ninja for when I need to go fast. So far the wrangler has put a smile on all our faces and had us laughing all the way home.

It was a bit of a challenge with the stock tires! and we where stuck for a good 30 minutes but some rock stuffing and crafty placement of sticks and we crawled out.

120 miles on the odo, crappy iphone photo but happy boys

Old 10-26-2010, 07:05 PM
JK Freak

Should have swapped engines while you were at it!

Quick Reply: Traded in my Cherokee SRT8 for a 2010 Wrangler unlimited