Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tires and gravel roads. Recommendations?

Old 10-27-2010, 04:08 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires and gravel roads. Recommendations?

I am currently running 265/75/16 BFG AT's but have noticed no matter what tire pressure I run, the wear rate on them is rediculous. I ran an identical set on a Suburban and got almost 70k on them ( admittedly on the road and occasional off-road) But the Jeep ones have worn down on the gravel roads much quicker.
Anyone else run on gravel roads regularly and can recommend a longer lasting tire?
Old 10-27-2010, 04:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you are referring to the factory A/Ts, they arent very good and probably any reputable replacement will be better. are you running in 4hi more often? rotating regularly? maybe driving faster in the jeep? lower tire pressure in the jeep? lots of things can cause premature tire wear. contact the guys at discount tire direct and mention this site. they will take care of you. seeing as though you are in the north, id recommend Duratracs.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:35 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mghornet
I am currently running 265/75/16 BFG AT's but have noticed no matter what tire pressure I run, the wear rate on them is rediculous. I ran an identical set on a Suburban and got almost 70k on them ( admittedly on the road and occasional off-road) But the Jeep ones have worn down on the gravel roads much quicker.
Anyone else run on gravel roads regularly and can recommend a longer lasting tire?
I live on a 3 mile long dirt/gravel road. I also drive over 50,000 miles each year. These roads eat tires very fast. Both my company vehicle (2009 Liberty) and my fiance's Taurus typically go through a set in 18,000 to 24,000 miles. It's also very hilly and curvy here which doesn't help treadwear. The Firestone Destination LE's on my Liberty right now did okay, but with 26,000 miles on them now they are shot (they don't make Destination AT's in my size or I would have tried those). Being a company car, I'm limited in what the leasing company will approve for tires, but I'm going to try to get some Hankook Dynapro AT's this Friday and see how they do.

My 2010 Jeep Rubicon only has 2,100 miles on it, but I already rotated my tires due to visible wear on the BFG M/T treadblocks. My brother lives 200 yards away and deals with the same road conditions. The BFG AT KO's on his Tundra were shot after only 16,000 miles. His Toyo M/T's seem to be holding up well, it looks like he'll get at least 30,000 out of them.

If you drive on these types of roads a lot, tire wear will be an issue. I keep going back to Sam's Club for our Taurus tires. Their cheapest BFG car tire has a good warranty and Sams doesn't give me a hard time about pro-rating them. I may try Duratrac's or Cooper STT's next on my Rubicon. The Toyo M/T's are great, but they are expensive and very heavy. Either way, if you find something that lasts, please let me know.

Last edited by matt33; 10-27-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:07 PM
JK Jedi

For almost 30 years I've had 7 miles worth of gravel road (3.5 in and 3.5 out) I had to drive to and from the house everyday. Almost 3 years in the JK. My Bridgestone "Revo" ATs still look damn near like new. Don't confuse the plain jane Dueler with the Dueler "Revo"as they are entirely different. Excellent tire for sure. I guess they stopped making mine and now came out with the "Revo 2" Haven't heard anything about them yet.

Last edited by AK4Dave; 10-27-2010 at 06:32 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Were now running dueler revo 2's on over 100 ambulances. They look kinda weird, but seem to handle water ok. I'll report on snow performance later. I log 50 000 km or more per winter in the shittiest weather out there.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:35 PM
JK Newbie

Hey, thanks for the replies guys.
Just to confirm these BFG weren't factory fittment..they are the A/T'S not M/T's
I do rotate regularly, every 6000miles.
Usual mileage is in 2HI. ( wife uses the jeep as a rural mail carrier...hence the greavel roads)
I talked to Discount tire and they recommended the Falken Rocky Mountain A/T's
( New tire but no bad news yet)
The duratracs arent factory warranteed, where as the Falkens are supposed to be 50,000 miles.
I need to check into sams club BFG warranty as thats where they were purchased too.
Still on the fence as to choice right now though, hoping to get a few 1000 more out of these before winter arrives.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:35 PM
JK Newbie

Hi, just checking back in...I know its been a while but I've been running the MTR's all winter and changed back to the BFG'S recently. I think I'd be lucky to get another week out of them now.
I checked into the Revo 2's , but the tread pattern makes me wonder if they'd be much good when the roads get muddy.
I looked more into the Falkens but the size I want they only make a load range E...im sure that would go down well...riding nice and hard!
Anyway...looks like the duratracs are going to win unless theres any last opinions.

Quick Reply: Tires and gravel roads. Recommendations?