Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2.5 Rock Krawler lift, now have a flighty feel when driving.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:02 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.5 Rock Krawler lift, now have a flighty feel when driving.

Last week I installed the rock krawler 2.5 stock mod lift, with a set of Bilstein 5100 shocks. I took the JK to the alignment shop and they were able to adjust everything within speck except the caster. They said I need a spacer kit. My question is would this improve the flighty feel. The suspension is stiff (not to happy with it) also I don't feel as comfortable on rutty roads, the tires seems to want to climb left to right more than they did before.

Thanks. Mickey
Old 10-28-2010, 10:16 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Please dont put cam bolts on your jeep you will regret it. I am guessing when they say spacer they mean cam bolts.

Save up and get a set of front lower adjustable control arms

David
Old 10-28-2010, 10:33 AM
JK Newbie

I think he did say something about a spacer and a cam.

thanks.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also large tires will grab ruts on the road a whole lot more then stock tires
Old 10-28-2010, 12:35 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Hkx3
Have cam bolts on mine, have yet to see how this is hurting me.

I guess Im not high speed low drag enough to know Im a rolling around in a POS.
I have cam bolts too.. Granted LCA's are better but if your in a bind( driving to atl from nola for your wedding and can't get on the highway bc of deathwobble) they are not as horrible as everyone says. I have had mine for 2 years with no issues whatsoever and they have never loosened, shifted etc. and I know they have taken some hits( lca mounts are beat up)
Old 10-28-2010, 12:39 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

nobody said you are driving a POS cam bolts Just are not the best route to go .

David
Old 10-28-2010, 09:37 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Hkx3
Have cam bolts on mine, have yet to see how this is hurting me.

I guess Im not high speed low drag enough to know Im a rolling around in a POS.
in order to install cam bolts, you need to make your lower control arm mounting holes at the axle into slots. IF you wheel your jeep hard and do a lot of flexing, the bolts WILL come loose and that will allow your axle to shift around - trust me, i have personally seen this happen too many times before. and, while this will not "hurt" you per se, it's not something you want to happen.

Originally Posted by crazyhorse02
I have cam bolts too.. Granted LCA's are better but if your in a bind( driving to atl from nola for your wedding and can't get on the highway bc of deathwobble) they are not as horrible as everyone says. I have had mine for 2 years with no issues whatsoever and they have never loosened, shifted etc. and I know they have taken some hits( lca mounts are beat up)
if you spend most of your time on pavement, don't wheel your jeep hard and don't flex out your suspension very often, cam bolts are fine. taking some hits to your lca's won't do squat to your cam bolts and this is a poor measure as to how well they are performing. what makes cam bolts so horrible is that in order to make them work, you need to make your lower control arm mounting holes at the axle into slots and once you do this, reversing it isn't easy. in other words, if you decided to upgrade to adjustable lca's in the future, you would need to have these slots made back into square holes.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

It's actually really easy to do with a Teraflex cam bolt eliminator kit.

If you can get MINIMUM 3deg positive caster with cam bolts, then you will be ok for now. If not then don't waste your time or money, you HAVE to get adjustable control arms. If your alignment shop says you are in negative-1 degree right now and your rig feels really flighty, then you no doubt need arms. I recommend 5 deg of caster once you can adjust it that much.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:00 AM
JK Newbie

Let me get this straight all I need is new front lower control arms, then have another alignment done. It drives ok, I just want it driving like it was when stock. Seem like it just not as stable and it could be because of stiffer suspension. I wish I had got a different shock, the 5100 are too stiff for my taste. I did my research and some said that they road better than stock, I just don't feel it. You can feel every dip and rise in road the jeep rocks from side to side so much that my back was hurting after a hour.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:14 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Firm ride could be your tire pressure. What pressure are you at ?

Quick Reply: 2.5 Rock Krawler lift, now have a flighty feel when driving.