Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Front Drive Shaft Busted?

Old 10-28-2010, 08:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Drive Shaft Busted?

Anybody here have there front driveshaft bust on a simple trail (maybe a moderate trail) but nothing really that hard. I just dropped off my Jeep to the dealer and showed them that the silver clamp that holds the boot to the drive shaft popped off and the sleeve ripped a little. I thought it was going to be a really easy fix, just put on a new boot and clamp and go on my way. They said I needed a new drive shaft. Thank God its covered under warranty but what happens in a year when there is no more warranty? Has anybody else have this happen to them. Anybody know the reason on what causes this to happen. I never had anything like this happen to my TJ and I had a 5in lift. I have around 3in of lift and am running stock 255/75/17 on my 08 4D Rubicon. I didn't think I could harm the drive shaft with just a 3in lift. Thanks
Old 10-28-2010, 08:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Same thing happened to mine, seems after the lift and when I installed the quick disconnects the front drive-shaft now rubs on the automatic transmission skid plate under extreme articulation.
If you go with the stock drive-shaft it will happen again and again, you need to get an after market drive-shaft or cut a notch in your transmission skid plate.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:41 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

you have an automatic and your new shocks are allowing your front axle to get too much droop. this will cause your drive shaft to hit your auto tranny pan and skid plate and that's what caused the clamp and boot to tear off. if you replace your drive shaft, i can guarantee you that you will just tear the clamp and boot off abain the first time you go wheeling. the only real solution to your problem is to get a new u-joint style drive shaft as they are narrower in diameter and will not give you this problem.

oh, also, just for the record, your drive shaft isn't busted and if you needed, you could drive your jeep with it the way it is now for quite some time.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have put 10k miles on mine so far with no boot.

Also, I'm no search button Nazi, but this subject has been discussed many many times.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:07 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

See post #6 here for some preventative steps to help with the 'new' stock driveshaft. And the next one. And the next one...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...vs.-Skid-plate
Old 10-28-2010, 10:25 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by wayoflife
oh, also, just for the record, your drive shaft isn't busted and if you needed, you could drive your jeep with it the way it is now for quite some time.
+1 I have been rolling sans boot for over a year and not had any problems yet. I know at some point I will need a new drive shaft but until then I will drive it like I stole it
Old 10-29-2010, 06:18 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the info, I guess all it took was an extra half inch to make this happen. I took that trail a bunch of times when I had the jeep lifted with only 2.5 in springs, I added half inch spacers and this is what I get. I will read the other post and see what I can do. Thanks again...
Old 10-29-2010, 06:23 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for sending the post, I like when post come with Pictures, helps out a lot.
Originally Posted by nthinuf
See post #6 here for some preventative steps to help with the 'new' stock driveshaft. And the next one. And the next one...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...vs.-Skid-plate
Old 10-29-2010, 06:35 AM
JK Freak

I had my 2.5" lift using the stock shocks with adapters on my 2-door auto for nine months without tearing my front driveshaft boot. Then I replaced my front trackbar with an adjustable one and re-centered my front axle. First time wheeling after that, I tore the boot on the tranny pan. I've been driving with the torn boot for about 14k miles now.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you want to be safe, there are alot of members here who have their old front drive shafts after replacing them. I bet you could pick up a spare for $50.

Quick Reply: Front Drive Shaft Busted?