Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Welding in Muffler? or Better Idea?

Old 10-30-2010, 04:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Welding in Muffler? or Better Idea?

So i rigged up a glasspack muffler where the stock muffler was. Im just having a hard time determining how to keep it from rattling. The side of the glasspack where it mounts to my exhaust seems pretty sturdy however, the opposiite side is where my exhaust is coming out of my muffler rattles very badly.

Im wondering if I should just weld a metal bar from my muffler to my frame? I know this would secure it 100% but im not sure how safe it is welding to the frame with fluxcore? Should I disconnect anything? Not sure how to do this? Also Im not sure if this is even a good solution considering glasspacks do not last forever and Ill probably have to mount another muffler later which means grinding that bar off of my frame?

Anyone have any better ideas or suggestions?

Or does any one want to tell me why its a bad idea to weld to the frame?

I just want to have my muffler secure and not rattle especially on trails!

Thanks everyone, im frustrated as hell with this muffler situation lol it sounds like a race car tho!
Old 10-30-2010, 04:21 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a rubber muffler hanger and just weld the metal parts of the hanger up and on your exhaust. You don;t want your exhaust directly attached to your body or frame. I would prolly just try to use the factory hanger positions if possible. Glass packs are pretty light, I doubt you need an extra one just for it.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

just put my Flowmaster Super44 in the stock location yesterday with no issues at all. Do you have a hanger going from the muffler to the rubber isolater in the stock position? You shouldn't have any vibrations or rattles.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:32 PM
JK Freak

could I weld a metal bar to the metal bar that holds the stock rubber hangar?
Old 10-30-2010, 04:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the exhaust needs to be able to move independant of the vehicle so you do not want to weld any part of the exhaust to the frame/body!
Old 10-30-2010, 09:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Maybe try a universal muffler bracket?
Old 10-30-2010, 09:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeeperjkjeeper
the exhaust needs to be able to move independant of the vehicle so you do not want to weld any part of the exhaust to the frame/body!
^^^^^^^^^^^this

Quick Reply: Welding in Muffler? or Better Idea?