Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Skiier dude needs help

Old 11-03-2010, 07:15 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skiier dude needs help

So I have been doing my extensive research and read almost all of the post that are pertaining to ski racks...However I have a 2010 JK Mountain 2dr with Zone 4", skyjacker front adjustable arms, 35" Goodyear Offroad Race tires...and I frankly love my jeep however the problem is I want to take my skis this winter...I am an avid skier/racer/backcountry bum...and I have many skis and they wont fit inside my jeep without scratching everything...and I don't like the gutter Idea or having to drill into the hardtop...so there has to be other options out there...Oh and Im not putting them on a rear tire carrier because my skis cost too much to get road grime on...and a full blown roof rack is out....So any other options or am I just SOL...and should start screaming FML over and over?
Old 11-03-2010, 07:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeep4life
So I have been doing my extensive research and read almost all of the post that are pertaining to ski racks...However I have a 2010 JK Mountain 2dr with Zone 4", skyjacker front adjustable arms, 35" Goodyear Offroad Race tires...and I frankly love my jeep however the problem is I want to take my skis this winter...I am an avid skier/racer/backcountry bum...and I have many skis and they wont fit inside my jeep without scratching everything...and I don't like the gutter Idea or having to drill into the hardtop...so there has to be other options out there...Oh and Im not putting them on a rear tire carrier because my skis cost too much to get road grime on...and a full blown roof rack is out....So any other options or am I just SOL...and should start screaming FML over and over?
put them on the spare tire and cover them.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:22 AM
JK Freak

Spare tire is a 35 with crager soft 8 weighing in at 102 lbs...not about to put more weight on that rear tailgate...need to get a rear tire carrier/bumper
Old 11-03-2010, 07:53 AM
JK Super Freak

so your list of criteria is:

not inside - scratches
not on top - you can't mount a rack
not on the rear - you are concerned about road grime and weight

that leaves mounting them up at the grille or strapping them to the undercarriage.....

I carry mine inside the cab, with the ski's in a bag. I don't have any scratches. I've also had them on a hitch mount carrier in the bag and they don't get road grime on them.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:02 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can mount a rack that bolts into the frame near the rear bumper and the windshield bolts, instead of the roof/hard top. I think GOBI makes it. Theres a few other brands too. Then either mount skis on top or in a cargo box. Would that work?
Old 11-03-2010, 08:02 AM
JK Freak

Im guessing its going to have to be a homemade ski rack that has some kind o platform between the two front seats and tie downs....I was wondering if there was some kind of window mount ski rack or suction cup dealio....hmmm
Old 11-03-2010, 08:08 AM
JK Freak

Not bustin your balls too much but scratches are part of owning a Jeep. Just place the expensive skis inside the cab with you and enjoy your hobby. This is why upgrading the interior is a bad idea, its making us adventorous Jeep people into worrying fools.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Im guessing its going to have to be a homemade ski rack that has some kind o platform between the two front seats and tie downs....I was wondering if there was some kind of window mount ski rack or suction cup dealio....hmmm
LOL I'm a die-hard skier myself... I always laughed at the people on the road with suction cup racks. I'd rather risk the ski's getting dirty on the back/spare tire then having them fall off the side of the car.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:10 AM
JK Freak

Im kind of a perfectionist...lol...I know thats hard to understand owning a Jeep but little things bother me...when I wheel my jeep recieves royal treatment after...takes me at least 5 hours just to wash the thing
Old 11-03-2010, 08:20 AM
JK Freak

Im kind of a perfectionist...lol...I know thats hard to understand owning a Jeep but little things bother me...when I wheel my jeep recieves royal treatment after...takes me at least 5 hours just to wash the thing
I understand wanting to keep your rig nice, but when you do the things you love like trail riding, skiing, etc. theres gonna be scratches. Just be glad that you will know how those scratches got there, by your own hand. What makes me angry is when you bring your rig in for service and it comes out with dings or scratches from some1 elses hand.

Quick Reply: Skiier dude needs help