Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Used dana44, regearing and tires?

Old 11-03-2010, 10:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used dana44, regearing and tires?

I have a 2008 auto wrangler x with a skyjacker 5" short arm suspension lift and 33 inch tires. I'm working on saving up some money and want some advice on what to do and what kind of prices I'm looking at.

I would really like to find a used Dana 44, but have no idea where to look for one! Is it even possible to find one? And for what kinda cost?

I also want to know how much it would cost to regear both of my Axles to 4.88.

... And tires. What about 37s. With my lift will I still have good off road capability? Will my short arm suspension limit me quite a bit?

I know this is a lot but any advice helps! I'm fairly new to all of this but I'm looking forward to learning more and getting more involved! I appreciate any advice I can get! Thanks!
Old 11-03-2010, 10:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would look on this forum and some local jeep shops for the axle. Gears should run you about $2500. Check with the manufacture of the lift for what size it will handle. If you are doing you gears you may want to sleeve, another $150-200.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Gears should be 1500$ installed IMO. A 5 inch lift should defiantly clear 37's. Check for used d44's with builders like cop4x4 terraflex off road evolution ect. Your short arm shouldn't limit you any more just because of the 37's, but you will probably need to add some bumpstops to limit uptravel and keep your tires out of your fenders.

With 37's you will want to sleeve your axle housing and gusset your steering knuckles regardless of d30 or d44. You might want chromoly shafts for a d30 but that's up to your wheeling style. Limit wheelspin and you shouldn't snap axleshafts.

Last edited by Harbourone; 11-03-2010 at 10:33 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:34 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I would really like to find a used Dana 44, but have no idea where to look for one! Is it even possible to find one? And for what kinda cost?
Possible? yes. Just watch the for sale section (a front 44 housing and a full axle just sold), your local cragslist, ebay motors, etc. Keep an eye out and be prepared to commit fast, they don't last very long.

I also want to know how much it would cost to regear both of my Axles to 4.88.
The price varies wildly from area to area. Anywhere from $650 - $1800. That is parts and labor for both axles, out the door. Can't comment on your location, but you can drive over to Dallas and have them done for around a grand.

... And tires. What about 37s. With my lift will I still have good off road capability? Will my short arm suspension limit me quite a bit?
That is getting a bit tall for a short arm, but if it drives ok now, it should drive ok with the 37's.

Also, you have an auto. 4.88's with 37's ain't gonna cut it. With a front 30, you'll want 5.13's. If you go to a front 44, go with 5.38's.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I stated above that gears run $2500. I just got mine done for $1500. Sorry for the hart attach.

Quick Reply: Used dana44, regearing and tires?