Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Monster exhaust...muffler only?

Old 03-18-2011, 10:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monster exhaust...muffler only?

Alright guys. I have been looking at the Banks Monster Exhaust but haven't pulled the trigger yet. It is around 330 bucks for the whole exhaust. I obviously would like to benefit from the gains in hp, mpg, sound, etc.

Here's the thing: I have the chance to buy the muffler only for 100 bucks. It is barely used and is basically new. Is this a good deal? What would be the difference in my Jeep if I went with the full exhaust vs the muffler only? (hp, mpg, torque, sound, etc...)

Last edited by zippyd8; 03-18-2011 at 10:55 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

I say DO IT!!!! are you runnin a 4 door? if so weld in the muffler in front of the axle and just have it dump straight out from there( put a 45 degree tip on it) kind of under the rear driver side door. that way you can cut a lil weight, and a little cost, and you dont have any exhaust pipe or muffler in the back! seems simpler to me to do it that way!!! Good luck on your decission!!!
Old 03-18-2011, 10:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2xcapeIN
I say DO IT!!!! are you runnin a 4 door? if so weld in the muffler in front of the axle and just have it dump straight out from there( put a 45 degree tip on it) kind of under the rear driver side door. that way you can cut a lil weight, and a little cost, and you dont have any exhaust pipe or muffler in the back! seems simpler to me to do it that way!!! Good luck on your decission!!!
I have a 2-door. Would it still be relocated like you're saying? Also, what kind of work would this involve? Because I know if I buy the whole kit, it will all bolt together. But with just the muffler, would it bolt on, or require more work like welding?
Old 03-19-2011, 04:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2xcapeIN
OP: Please do not do this on a daily driver. First off, the weight savings is negligible at best. Secondly, there is a big reason why Jeep doesn't put the exhaust exit here nor does any proper aftermarket exhaust. Same reason all the major aftermarket manufacturers of exhausts exiting straight out the back say "do not tow" with theirs. Chances are very high you'll wind up getting those lovely exhaust gases inside your Jeep and that can either kill yourself, or cause you to pass out while driving and kill someone else.

There isn't any major cost savings either since the majority of the work to do that (for the average consumer) would require labor by a welder to piece together the custom setup. Using the bolt-on kit can be done by yourself. Placing the muffler under the main party of the body opens it up for more damage than where it is stock. Especially true with the smaller ones like the Banks, since it'll tuck up tighter in the stock location.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:42 AM
JK Freak

x2. bolt on for easy damaged parts replacement vs the entire exhaust. Banks has been getting bad reviews so maybe do some more research.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mdnky
op: Please do not do this on a daily driver. First off, the weight savings is negligible at best. Secondly, there is a big reason why jeep doesn't put the exhaust exit here nor does any proper aftermarket exhaust. Same reason all the major aftermarket manufacturers of exhausts exiting straight out the back say "do not tow" with theirs. Chances are very high you'll wind up getting those lovely exhaust gases inside your jeep and that can either kill yourself, or cause you to pass out while driving and kill someone else.

There isn't any major cost savings either since the majority of the work to do that (for the average consumer) would require labor by a welder to piece together the custom setup. Using the bolt-on kit can be done by yourself. Placing the muffler under the main party of the body opens it up for more damage than where it is stock. Especially true with the smaller ones like the banks, since it'll tuck up tighter in the stock location.
Listen to this man!!
Old 03-19-2011, 10:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Good to know. So is it impossible to attach it closer to the rear so the fumes exit properly? I ask because a muffler is so much cheaper than a complete kit, but you still get the benefits. I just came across a MBRP muffler for $50.

Last edited by zippyd8; 03-19-2011 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:57 AM
JK Newbie

Does mbrp or dynomax make a just a muffler to go in the stock location?
Old 03-21-2011, 01:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

I did a writeup not too long ago about removing my Banks muffler and replacing it with a Flowmaster (and moving it forward on my 4 Door).

I DO NOT recommend the Banks Exhaust for the JK! It's over priced and under quality. Which is a shame since I really like Banks gear.

My muffler split at the seam after 3 years. My Jeep only has only spent about a year of that time on the road though. It only has 22k on it. Yeah I live in an area were they salt the roads, but a full stainless system should last longer than that. The pipes are still in good shape, but the muffler went to sh!t quickly.

If you do decide to use the Banks. Go ahead and buy the used muffler. The factory pipes are 2.5" so the muffler will fit on the pipe, you'll just have to work out the hangers and tailpipe issues. If you move the muffler forward, make sure you have clearance from your evap canister. The 2 door Jeeps don't have a lot of room under them. Also I sent my exhaust straight out the back left. I goes all the way to the bumper and exits about where the factory pipe did, but on the opposite side. I haven't had any exhaust gas issues so far.

The writeup is titled Tucked Flowmaster 50 if you want to check it out. I didn't link it because it really doesn't have anything to do with your original post, other than the reuse of the Banks pipes.

Last edited by Clownhunter69; 03-21-2011 at 01:12 AM.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:19 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wiesmanr
Does mbrp or dynomax make a just a muffler to go in the stock location?
Any muffler ( I am sure there are a few that don't ) should be able to fit in a stock location, just need to match up your inlet/outlet and diameter of the stock exhaust tubing. Many times upgrading your whole exhaust system from the cat-back makes sense. The reason being is that a muffler costs X, and a whole system is a bit more (XX) and the gains from a whole system is noticeable.

Info on our No Limits promo going on now.
http://www.dynomax.com/promotions.php

HTH

Quick Reply: Monster exhaust...muffler only?