Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Is body lift only good enough for 2in lift?

Old 03-23-2011, 12:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is body lift only good enough for 2in lift?

I'm planning, among several other mods, to raise my Sahara 4dr about 2in.

I am not planning any rock crawling, just driving rough unpaved roads and occasional shallow (maybe 1ft deep max) creeks.

Questions are:
1) is 2in enough? I still wan to keep good highway performance/comfort/safety.
2) body lift only or I have to install those full kits with shocks, etc?
3) sway bar disconnects. What brand and type? I believe I'll use this only occasionally, so no nee for sophisticated stuff.
4) am I missing anything?

Thanks!
Old 03-23-2011, 12:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go with a leveling kit and be done with it if that is ur intended purpose. Body lifts dont do anything other than give u more room for larger tires and 2 inch body lifts are ugly. Go with 1 inch body lift max. If u do teraflex leveling kit and 1 inch body lift, I think u can run 35s without trimming ur fenders.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:21 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Olean NY Jeeper
I would go with a leveling kit and be done with it if that is ur intended purpose. Body lifts dont do anything other than give u more room for larger tires and 2 inch body lifts are ugly. Go with 1 inch body lift max. If u do teraflex leveling kit and 1 inch body lift, I think u can run 35s without trimming ur fenders.
Same opinion here...1" max on BL. There are plenty of options for small suspension lifts.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:22 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Look for pics of 2+ inch body lifts. The gap is very noticeable, and many people do not like the look. If you don't care, go for it. (personally, I would look at the 1-1.25" body lifts instead of the taller ones).

You could also do a leveling kit or 2" BB. Since it is just plastic pucks on top of your current coils, the ride wouldn't change much. You could get away with stock stocks with these, but adding extensions would be better.

Or you could just chop your flares or go to flats, which would give more clearance for bigger tires.

From your stated use, it doesn't really sound like you need disco's. But, JKS and TeraFlex are both very highly regarded, and you couldn't go wrong with either. There are others available, but I haven't seen any reviews on them.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:29 PM
JK Newbie

Be careful with the body lift vs. Spacer lift. If you have a manual transmission and you put a 2" body lift in then The voids in your gearbox hit your floorpan and you can't shift unless you order a special adapter which I'm not sure if they make yet for the newer jeeps. I found this out the hard way. I later went with a 2.5" spacer kit where you just place a disk between your springs and the car. Ive had that for a year and it works great, the only issue is you have to order new longer shocks with it.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:30 PM
JK Newbie

I meant the boots in your gear box hit your floorpan. I'm not sure why my phone said voids sorry
Old 03-23-2011, 01:50 PM
JK Newbie

although cheaper not a good rout unless u need to put a body lift on
Old 03-23-2011, 02:45 PM
JK Newbie

Default Body lifts

def save ur bucks and get the suspension lift 2.5 inch you'll be alot more happy then down the road do the 1 inch body lift from rough country it comes with the spacer u'll need for ur shifter
Old 03-23-2011, 02:56 PM
JK Newbie

i did a Ready Lift leveling kit to get the same results you are looking for...minimal offroad use and i wanted bigger tires but did not want to loose factory ride...this kit uses factory spring and shocks, everything you need is in the kit except rear brakeline extensions and i recommend longer front sway bars, mine are factory but if i flex i will want the correct length. This kit come with AWESOME directions and is super easy to install...i had a tech do it for $200 becasue i dont have a garage....the kit cost me $450 plus say $75 for links and $30 for brakeline extensions...heres a before and after, BTW its 2" rear and 3" front
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0268-1.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	141147   Click image for larger version

Name:	after lift 2.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	141148  

Last edited by mldsrt4; 03-23-2011 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mldsrt4
i did a Ready Lift leveling kit to get the same results you are looking for...minimal offroad use and i wanted bigger tires but did not want to loose factory ride...this kit uses factory spring and shocks, everything you need is in the kit except rear brakeline extensions and i recommend longer front sway bars, mine are factory but if i flex i will want the correct length. This kit come with AWESOME directions and is super easy to install...i had a tech do it for $200 becasue i dont have a garage....the kit cost me $450 plus say $75 for links and $30 for brakeline extensions...heres a before and after, BTW its 2" rear and 3" front
Ouch somebody saw you comming $450 for a spacer leveling kit

Quick Reply: Is body lift only good enough for 2in lift?