Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Relocate or beef up front end to avoid rock carnage. What did you do?

Old 04-26-2011, 02:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Relocate or beef up front end to avoid rock carnage. What did you do?

**Front end discussion only**

Solid front diff is still very new to me, I am used to have a full skid plate in front that covers all of the major components.
The major components that I can see with solid axle which are prone to the carnage and can leave you stranded on the trail:

1. Front trackbar.
Can it be relocated? If so is it really out of the harm's way?
Can it be protected by some skid plates?
Install beef up bar. Will a good beef up bar like TF really take the direct hit from the rock on the trail?

2. Steering bar.
Relocate it. There are couple of options to do that. Is this the only and best way to protect it?

3. Sway bar
This is not really a big deal, I think, even if I bent my sway bar I should still be able to drive back home (maybe just not as fast

4. Diff itself
This one easy to fix - install beefy diff cover or skid plate.

5. Front arms.
There are skid plates for the arms.
However, arms seem to be well build with good thick metal, do you really need any protection on it?

Anything else from the drivetrain I am forgetting about (oil pan is a whole different conversation and there are few skids available) ?
Old 04-26-2011, 03:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Reid high steer knuckles and a drag link flip will raise both the tie rod and drag link. Make a new bracket and move the steering stabilizer to the top of the tie bar.

Sway bar (get quick disconnects) and track bars should be out of harms way.

Pick one of several diff covers anything should be better then the factory. Watch the video of the arb cover it is impressive.

Lower control arms will get scraped if you play in the rocks, the skids will help the mounts from getting too chewed up.

Relocate or skid the evap canister and look at a skid for the oil pan.

Make sure your brake lines are secure but allow for full flex.

Can you elaborate on your first sentence "Reid high steer knuckles and a drag link flip will raise both the tie rod and drag link. Make a new bracket and move the steering stabilizer to the top of the tie bar."
Old 04-26-2011, 03:15 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Also check out the Currie rod kit for drag link and tie rod.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:35 PM
JK Freak

off road only tie rod. it's straight and 1.5" above stock.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ter-Tube-Seals
Old 04-27-2011, 06:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

What about track bar? What would you guys suggest for the track bar?
Old 04-28-2011, 09:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
If you are hitting your track bar while wheeling you need a new spotter. You might want to install the jks track bar brackets on the front and rear to beef up the axle mounts. It will also give you a high mount option if you need it with a drag link flip.
Yes, of course, I understand if I am hitting track bar I am taking wrong line, but sh..t happens on the trail and when it does I don't want to be stranded.

Would getting beefier track bar help? Who can attend to the good track bar that was truly tested on the rocks?
Old 04-28-2011, 09:54 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by SFBayArea
Yes, of course, I understand if I am hitting track bar I am taking wrong line, but sh..t happens on the trail and when it does I don't want to be stranded.

Would getting beefier track bar help? Who can attend to the good track bar that was truly tested on the rocks?
If you hit your track bar you have probably already ripped out your front axle and have much greater problems. The track bar attaches to the top right side of the front axle and goes to the frame on the left side.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Good point Robar, what about tierod? Besides relocating steering shock, what can be done to the tie rod, it seems to be the first one to take abuse if I strike a rock.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:42 PM
JK Freak

Default My Solution

Ok, great thread with some great suggestions. I took on this challenge a few months back and here was my solution. With the exception of going the PR44 route I beefed up my front D44 as much as I could. I added Reid knuckles, TF drag link flip and frame brace, TF Monster Trackbar, Currie Tie rod, TF C-Gussets, EVO Magnum 44 inner sleeves, Dynatrac ball joints, ARB Diff cover, RCV axles, and the PSC extreme hydro assist setup. I think it is as bullett proof as I could get without going to a PR44 or D60 setup. When my current stuff breaks, I will go PR44.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 07JKDakotaEd
Ok, great thread with some great suggestions. I took on this challenge a few months back and here was my solution. With the exception of going the PR44 route I beefed up my front D44 as much as I could. I added Reid knuckles, TF drag link flip and frame brace, TF Monster Trackbar, Currie Tie rod, TF C-Gussets, EVO Magnum 44 inner sleeves, Dynatrac ball joints, ARB Diff cover, RCV axles, and the PSC extreme hydro assist setup. I think it is as bullett proof as I could get without going to a PR44 or D60 setup. When my current stuff breaks, I will go PR44.
What was the ballpark that you spent on this project?

Quick Reply: Relocate or beef up front end to avoid rock carnage. What did you do?