Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

tom woods ds question

Old 04-28-2011, 03:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tom woods ds question

i just installed the ds from tom wood,i followed the directions in the write up on the coast and also used the youtube video,i have no vibrations but i do now have a odd rubbing noise that get louder the faster you go,the ds is not touching anything at all,anyone have any ideas on what could cause this
Old 04-28-2011, 05:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Youri
Are you sure you left off both of the dust shields off the yokes? I didn't the first time and it made grinding noises, sounded horrible.
I didn't on the front so i removed it and it still does it, I can't figure it out, it almost sounds like the caliper is stuck squeezing the rotor, is it possible I torques the pinion bolt too much
Old 04-29-2011, 03:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm not an expert but I don't believe that torquing the pinion bolt too much will immediately cause damage, rather it will cause it to go out over time.

I'd jack up the jeep and try to see where the noise is coming from as someone spins the wheels.
okay i tore it back down and the crush sleeve was shot,i had to replace it
Old 04-29-2011, 03:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm not an expert but I don't believe that torquing the pinion bolt too much will immediately cause damage, rather it will cause it to go out over time.

I'd jack up the jeep and try to see where the noise is coming from as someone spins the wheels.
thanks youri for taking the time to offer your opinion
Old 04-29-2011, 06:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

What did you use to torque it down with I thought the crush sleeve took a lot of pressure to get it to crush. Did it wear out or did you over torque.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Alf1096
What did you use to torque it down with I thought the crush sleeve took a lot of pressure to get it to crush. Did it wear out or did you over torque.
I over torque it with a Mac air gun, I didn't mean to I put a torque wrench to it and couldn't budge the nut, this causes the lash to be to tight
Old 04-29-2011, 10:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

That sux. Was it easy to replace the crush sleeve?!
It wasn't bad, finding one was a pia
Old 04-30-2011, 11:57 AM
JK Super Freak

did you instal the front or rear ds and how long of an instal was it? i'm thinking this might be my next upgrade as i just tore my front ds boot of last week in moab. i know alot of people say that ride around with a tore boot for years, all you have to do is grease it every now and then and just rinse the dirt off. but, i would feel better knowing that i wouldn't have to keep that in the back of my mind, if i just replaced it with a nice new shiny toms woods ds
Old 04-30-2011, 12:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by josh_jacklyn
did you instal the front or rear ds and how long of an instal was it? i'm thinking this might be my next upgrade as i just tore my front ds boot of last week in moab. i know alot of people say that ride around with a tore boot for years, all you have to do is grease it every now and then and just rinse the dirt off. but, i would feel better knowing that i wouldn't have to keep that in the back of my mind, if i just replaced it with a nice new shiny toms woods ds
i did the fron and it was very simple hour job i just tried to get to far with the air gun before i used the torque wrench,so i suggest if you do it on a lift have someone hold the brakes
Old 05-01-2011, 09:38 AM
JK Super Freak

cool thanks alot for the info. do you plan on doing the rear anytime soon? or are you going to keep the front for now?

Quick Reply: tom woods ds question