Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Anyone put their spare tire on their roof rack?

Old 04-28-2011, 08:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Anyone put their spare tire on their roof rack?

Just curious... How does it look? I was thinking if I put mine up there, I wouldn't have to spend money on a tire carrier....and it might make the Jeep look more impressive. What should I do with the stock carrier/3rd brake light assembly? I'd still like to keep the 3rd brake light.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Runewolf1973
Just curious... How does it look? I was thinking if I put mine up there, I wouldn't have to spend money on a tire carrier....and it might make the Jeep look more impressive. What should I do with the stock carrier/3rd brake light assembly? I'd still like to keep the 3rd brake light.
Why not attach a led third brake light to the bottom of the roof rack?
Old 04-28-2011, 11:32 PM
JK Freak

I've seen it on some Cherokees never a jk. It would look cool but it would murder your mpg even more.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep... And love it...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-669927866.jpg
Views:	2351
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	155051  
Old 04-29-2011, 02:00 AM
JK Freak

Looks fine but Id hate to lug that thing off the roof when Im already irritated after getting a flat. Id have to use a few extra #@%$&### words when getting it off the roof.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gasser
Looks fine but Id hate to lug that thing off the roof when Im already irritated after getting a flat. Id have to use a few extra #@%$&### words when getting it off the roof.
Only a few??? I would wear them all out!

I thought about doing this, but my primary reason for putting the rack on was to have extra storage capability when traveling. Putting the tire up there defeats the purpose, IMHO.

Plus. I definitely don't want to kill myself trying to get a 80+lb tire off the roof...
Old 04-29-2011, 01:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ke5rto

Only a few??? I would wear them all out!

I thought about doing this, but my primary reason for putting the rack on was to have extra storage capability when traveling. Putting the tire up there defeats the purpose, IMHO.

Plus. I definitely don't want to kill myself trying to get a 80+lb tire off the roof...
I can easily get a 35" tire up there by myself. I dont have it up there unless I am going wheeling or on long trip. Even with the 35" up there I was able to put 4 suitcases and a few bags up there, plus it is really nice way to secure my axe and pick. To each their own but I think it gives my jeep a more aggressive look, which I like.

I have a write up on here about it, and I has totally helped me out storage wise. The rack also acts as a grab handle so that is just a bonus!!
Old 04-29-2011, 01:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

And y would it kill MPG weight is weight I would think
Old 04-29-2011, 01:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by isshinryu28
And y would it kill MPG weight is weight I would think
Probably the same way my light bar has... Adding another flat surface for wind resistance. Looks good though. I just don't know that I'd want to wrestle it off the roof like others have mentioned. But again, looks good up there.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:18 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the replies. Just looking through some older threads and came across this... There are some pics of the spare tire on top. Looks pretty cool I think, but you guys might be right about the mpg thing.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...p-3rd-row-seat

Quick Reply: Anyone put their spare tire on their roof rack?