Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

regearing with flashpaq superchips

Old 04-28-2011, 11:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default regearing with flashpaq superchips

Hello,
Just have a question about the above combination. i have a 2.5'' lift with 35'' tires, and have recently regeared to 4:88 gears on a 6 speed manual. Just wondering if the superchips flashpaq will benefit me? i have tried searching, but no luck finding any info on the above mention combo. I also have an aev cold air intake if that matters. Please let me know as i am on the fence whether to buy one or not
thanks,
Old 04-29-2011, 04:07 AM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yep, you can enter the tire size and the gear ratio into the Flashpaq. This will correct your speedo. The cold air kit won't make a difference.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

The SC3875 will help tremendously, not just for recalibrating your speedo but also with the fuel curves for different octane fuels.

I run use the 87 Octane tune (which is the 87 Perf) and it works a LOT better than stock. 91 and 93 Perf tunes are even better!

I haven't bothered with the cold air intake kit...but just swapping out the stock air filter with a K&N filter made a little difference.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:37 AM
JK Freak

As long as your Jeep isn't a 2011 model. They haven't developed a version for the 2011.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

According to the OP's profile, his is a 2009 model.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:54 AM
MTH
JK Enthusiast

Consider an AEV ProCal for half the price.

As I understand it, the principle benefits of a superchip are adjusting shift points (for an auto trans), calibrating for tire size/fixing speedo, and providing fuel "tunes".

With a manual, you don't want the first, do want the second, and may want the third--just know that some folks claim the "tunes" are useless. Some of course swear by them.

So, decide if you want fuel tunes. If you do, then get a superchip. If you don't, then skip the superchip and get an AEV ProCal for half the price, which will account for tire size/speedo and do a number of other things (but not "tunes").
Old 04-29-2011, 07:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Another vote for the super chips.

I use it quite often. I run two sets of tires, stock Sahara for street use and MT Baja MTZ's for wheeling. They are different size tires and I run a different tune with each.

Stock Tires I run the Economy Tune

MT's I run the 87 Octane performance tune

There is a big difference between the two tunes, I ran the MT's the past two weeks on the economy tune and got on average 14.2 MPG's. I then ran the MT's on the 87 Octane performance tune and got 14.8 MPG. I know not a big difference, but it felt more responsive and wasn't struggling on the highway to maintain 70mph.

I have 4.10's and an auto in an Unlimited Rubi.

With the stock tires and the Economy tune I have seen 17+ MPG's on a consistent basis. So that's what I have been running lately.

Just another benefit it has is you can turn off the TPMS system too, which is nice to not have the light on and bell dinging. Plus there are a ton of other things it can do that I haven't even used yet, have to do some more reading.

Superchips 3875
Old 04-29-2011, 08:25 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 20JK10
As long as your Jeep isn't a 2011 model. They haven't developed a version for the 2011.
I wish they would hurry up and release the 2011...c'mon already! This is really delaying my upgrades in tires/gears...Is there any other options besides superchip flashpaq for programming?
Old 04-29-2011, 09:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by MTH
Consider an AEV ProCal for half the price.

As I understand it, the principle benefits of a superchip are adjusting shift points (for an auto trans), calibrating for tire size/fixing speedo, and providing fuel "tunes".

With a manual, you don't want the first, do want the second, and may want the third--just know that some folks claim the "tunes" are useless. Some of course swear by them.

So, decide if you want fuel tunes. If you do, then get a superchip. If you don't, then skip the superchip and get an AEV ProCal for half the price, which will account for tire size/speedo and do a number of other things (but not "tunes").
I guess I'm one of the folks who swears by it.

The tire size, gear ratio, and other optional adjustments are key, but the real benefit for me are the different tunes. Definitely a noticeable power difference with my set up, 3" lift and 35's, 5.13 gears.

I usually run the 87 tune, which drives way better for me then it does with the stock tune. And a lot of the time I will run the 'tow' tune, which provied a lot more punch of the line and get up and go. It also has me holding at a higher rpm on the hwy then the 87 tune, which performs great, but decreases my mpg a bit around town.

I'm an auto though.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by guarnibl
I took mine to the dealership instead to get it re-calibrated there.... the superchips flash tuner is good for automatic vehicles because it can adjust shift points and add some more power with a 93 tune.
I wouldn't trust the dealers recal for sh.t, plus they charge you a few pennys too don't they? Probably half the cost of the AEV procal.

Would you run the risk of having the computer reset when you go back to the dealer and some other tech flashes your system?

Quick Reply: regearing with flashpaq superchips