Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Set me up...$7000 budget

Old 04-29-2011, 09:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Set me up...$7000 budget

My head is spinning. I've been searching and searching. I would like to score a nice used already built JKU for $26000 or less. There are some out there, but the idea of buying a Jeep from so far away is not that appealing to me. I'd hate to make a trip and be dissappointed when I get there.

Needless to say...here's my goals for a JKU, preferabbly with a 6speed. The Jeep is only going to see light wheeling. Will mostly be used to get me to work (I have a 2.5 mile commute) and around town. But I will need it to keep pass on the highway for when we go on vacation etc.

Mods I'd like to do (with labor) for $7000.
  1. Suspension lift (I want coils not spacers)
  2. 35" Tires - Leaning towards BFG muds or Goodyear Duratrac's. I may even go with BFG A/T's since the majority will be on the road.
  3. Wheels - backspacing, bolt pattern? Right now I like some of the black offerings from Pro-comp.
  4. 4:88 Gears - I know this is a hotly contested topic but since it's mostly a road Jeep with no aspirations to go to 37's I think these are a better choice
  5. Rear bumper to handle the weight of the tire properly

So the question is, can this be done for $7000 and what products do you recommend. I'm mostly concerned with suspension and rear bumpers. Do I need a superchips doo-hickey for a manual tranny Jeep or is that only needed for auto's?

Some day I hope to do the hemi swap...but baby steps.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Koko
My head is spinning. I've been searching and searching. I would like to score a nice used already built JKU for $26000 or less. There are some out there, but the idea of buying a Jeep from so far away is not that appealing to me. I'd hate to make a trip and be dissappointed when I get there.

Needless to say...here's my goals for a JKU, preferabbly with a 6speed. The Jeep is only going to see light wheeling. Will mostly be used to get me to work (I have a 2.5 mile commute) and around town. But I will need it to keep pass on the highway for when we go on vacation etc.

2. 35" Tires - Leaning towards BFG muds or Goodyear Duratrac's. I may even go with BFG A/T's since the majority will be on the road.
  3. Wheels - backspacing, bolt pattern? Right now I like some of the black offerings from Pro-comp.
  4. 4:88 Gears - I know this is a hotly contested topic but since it's mostly a road Jeep with no aspirations to go to 37's I think these are a better choice

So the question is, can this be done for $7000 and what products do you recommend. I'm mostly concerned with suspension and rear bumpers. Do I need a superchips doo-hickey for a manual tranny Jeep or is that only needed for auto's?

Yep, definitely doable for 7k. For suspension look for 2.5-3". OME, Teraflex, and Full Traction are some of the best. For 35s you will want to look into reinforcing your front axle such as gussets and sleeves. For a tire I would look at Duratracs (more AT) and Trail Grapplers (more MT). For 35s you would want a 4.5" backspace or less rim and the JK bolt pattern is 5x5. If you want to pass people on the highway you will want 5.13s for an auto and 4.88s for a stick. There are plenty of options for new bumper/tire carrier but they are all $1000+. If you just want a tire carrier look at OR-FAB ($500). Computer chips are for auto or stick, they will get about 10hp and recalibrate your ECU for new tires and gears. Your options are superchips and bullydog for HP gains or the Procal for just recalibrating the ECU.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:44 AM
JK Freak

You can come get my Jeep.

For $7,000 you can do anything really. All the info is in threads if you search. You want a nasty suspension go Evo! Maybe he will chime in.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:52 AM
JK Freak

Get a 4" long arm, 37x12.50's with 4.5 of backspacing. You will need a programmer or tuner (procal or superchips). If you are planning on 37's, you want to pick up a Rubi, since 37's on a D30 is a bad idea.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:54 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

7k is plenty feel free to give me a call and we can discuss your build anytime.

David
Old 04-29-2011, 10:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Torrin, not interested in 37's. My wife is 5'2" and I we have two small children. Granted we have her GMC Acadia as a grocery getter. But my Jeep will be seeing a lot of road time too since it will be only vehicle.

Will I need any adjustable control arms?

Can you get by with brackets or are adjustable track bars needed?

What about the rear spring perch angles?

My last Jeep that I bought and lifted was a 98 Grand Cherokee with an RE 3.5 superflex system. So I'm a little familar with these coil spring suspensions.

Originally Posted by Northridge4x4
7k is plenty feel free to give me a call and we can discuss your build anytime.

David
Thanks David!

Last edited by Koko; 04-29-2011 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Torrin, not interested in 37's. My wife is 5'2" and I we have two small children. Granted we have her GMC Acadia as a grocery getter. But my Jeep will be seeing a lot of road time too since it will be only vehicle.

Will I need any adjustable control arms?

Can you get by with brackets or are adjustable track bars needed?

What about the rear spring perch angles?

My last Jeep that I bought and lifted was a 98 Grand Cherokee with an RE 3.5 superflex system. So I'm a little familar with these coil spring suspensions.
Do you NEED any of that? No. But with 7k you have plenty enough to buy it all so I would say do it right the first time.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Definately doable! Look at the Trailmaster suspension kit. It has all the adjustable control arms, trackbars, and includes driveshafts. Will fit 35's easily and is very reasonably priced. Also look at Orfab, there rear bumper and tire carrier is very popular.
As for finding a JK, definately look around. I bought mine in Nov. 2010. It was an '08 Sahara, 6spd manual, only had 5K miles on it and I paid just over 26K. Bought it from the Jeep dealership as a certified preowned so it came with an additional extended warranty up to 100K miles. Has been by a great vehicle and no regrets on purchasing it pre owned.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:09 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im lifted on teraflex 2.5 coils and shocks with 35 inch BFG's on 15" pro comp alloys. My total was just about 2k all together. You can do plenty with 7k.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

I probably should add...while $7k is the budget...having some leftover will would be nice just plunk down on the prinipal of the Jeep.

Do the or-fab tire carriers sit closer to the door at all or is there only the one that can carry Jerry cans.

Quick Reply: Set me up...$7000 budget