Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Shock Bushings...

Old 04-30-2011, 01:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Shock Bushings...

I have the RE 2" BB with monotube shocks. Been having a few bouts with Death Wobble lately. come to find A LOT of play at the lower mount for both my front shocks...

Two questions...
1. Could this extra play be contributing to my death wobble? (only happens when I hit bumps, and not every time)

2. What bushings do I get to replace them? Based on my measurements, I think I need 5/8 i.d. x 1.25 in L.

Okay, one more question... Should the bushing have a metal sleeve pressed into the bushing before passing the bolt through the eye when mounted? When I installed these shocks (almost 4 years ago) there were no sleeves and the bushing has been mounted directly around the bolt... may be part of my problem???

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 05-01-2011, 05:15 AM
JK Freak

they are probably 5/8" hourglass bushings. Good luck finding them. I needed some a while back and all I could find at the part's stores were a "kit" and it didn't have the bushings I needed. My shocks at the time were the Rough Country shocks that came with my lift. I called rough country and they sent me some. And yes, there should be a metal sleeve through the bushing. If not, the bolt will eat up the rubber bushing.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:24 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Without a doubt there should be a metal sleeve in there!
Old 05-01-2011, 07:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks gents! Still haven't found a suitable replacement. Both Advanced and Autozone have nothing in the way of a selection of bushings. Gonna have to check into Eastern Truck or Pungo Offroad I suppose.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Don't goto pungo....
Roger that. Eastern it is then! Thanks for the tip and I'll keep my eyes open for you on the road.

Quick Reply: Shock Bushings...