Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Outback touring backspacing and tyres

Old 05-02-2011, 06:45 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outback touring backspacing and tyres

Gday mates from the US

Listen I have a 2009 Diesel JK 4dr no rubi. I plan on doing some long distance touring off road in the deserts of central Australia. I have a set of 285/75/17s on steel rims 16x8 with 3.75 bs as you can see in the pics below. What I am asking is how much stress does this much bs put on my axles and other components? I will be thousands of Kilometers from service centers and want to keep my reliability as high as possible while improving my offroad ability. I got these tyres and rims for a good price but a good price now doesn't mean a good price later with a major break down and several thousand kilometers of towing to get my jeep to a service centre. Thoughts?

Thank you

Christiaan

Old 05-02-2011, 06:52 AM
JK Freak

Welcome to the Forum :!:

Take tools, X-tra spare, Oils, Air tank and yes a spare engine BELT :!:

Remember- Slow and steady wins the race -

Good Luck -
Old 05-02-2011, 09:17 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3.75 bs is about 1" more than you need for those tires. It will cause some increased wear on your unit bearings, but nothing that can't be identified during regular maintenance checks. I wouldn't hesitate to run those wheels. I'm interested to hear what Aussie members have to say as our driving in the US is substantially different than you have there.

Hay, I noticed in the picture that all of your steering components where installed backwards. What's up with that?? (:-))
Old 05-05-2011, 05:41 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the info. If you are interested I might link our travel blog to the forum when we head off for 2 weeks in July to cross several deserts

Chris
Old 05-05-2011, 06:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Location: Simi Valley, Ca., Taylorsville, Ut. and places in between
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ken, it might be a right hand drive which might explain the suspension oddity.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:51 PM
JK Newbie

Yep we drive on the right hand side of the Jeep here down under.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:07 AM
JK Newbie

Corrugations are your main enemy,Australia has a lot of gravel roads with miles of corrugated surface that weakens, loosens and breaks things slowly but surely. I'd be checking everything with a set of spanners every leg and keep things tight.

Quick Reply: Outback touring backspacing and tyres