Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Death wobble from tires/wheels?

Old 05-02-2011, 08:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Death wobble from tires/wheels?

So the other day I posted a question about some wobble. Went through and retorqued everything. Was all good except for the lug nuts. They seemed to be the cause. Jeep drove all good after that.
Yesterday I got a set of lightly used 35s on crager soft 8s. They have about 8,000 miles on them. The wheels are beat up. When I hit about 35-40 mph i get wobble. I looked out the side and its really bad. It only does it around this speed. Is this a rebalance issue? Im about to put my stock wheels on and see if that solves it.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:32 AM
JK Junkie

classic signs of out-of-balance tires
Old 05-02-2011, 08:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by HG07JKRubi
classic signs of out-of-balance tires
I hope so. Is it because it happens only at a specific speed?
Old 05-02-2011, 08:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Default Nsfw

If I put NSFW in the title would I get more answers?
Old 05-02-2011, 09:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just bought a set of 35in KM2s and 15in Pro Comp wheels. At the same time had installed a 4in Lift. At 35-45 MPH my Jeep does the same thing. Steering Wheel wobble but definitely not a death wobble. And it only happens around these speeds.

I had this all installed at 4 wheel parts local to my home here in SoCal. I went back and asked about it and asked the guy if it could be wheel balance issues. He said no it wasnt because if it were it would be worse at higher speeds. Ill be going back for my 1000 mile check up and ask that they look into this. Its been annoying me since the 10th mile of having this setup. Ill subscribe and try to remember to post my results.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Definately need to take em' into a tire shop. Sounds like warped tires. I had Death Wobble that would come and go randomly. Got to logging time, temp, speed, weather etc etc and came to the conclusion it was wheels and tires based on cold tires. Anyway, got new wheels and tires when I did my lift and no longer have DW. So yes tires and wheels can cause it.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by KyleTheGrouch
I just bought a set of 35in KM2s and 15in Pro Comp wheels. At the same time had installed a 4in Lift. At 35-45 MPH my Jeep does the same thing. Steering Wheel wobble but definitely not a death wobble. And it only happens around these speeds.

I had this all installed at 4 wheel parts local to my home here in SoCal. I went back and asked about it and asked the guy if it could be wheel balance issues. He said no it wasnt because if it were it would be worse at higher speeds. Ill be going back for my 1000 mile check up and ask that they look into this. Its been annoying me since the 10th mile of having this setup. Ill subscribe and try to remember to post my results.
Man kind of glad Im not alone but sucks you have no answer either. Im going to try to keep this up top until I get some more answers. Ill make sure to post any findings I make also. Ill take em in to get balanced today. Im afraid this is going to cause more problems.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by emoody007
Definately need to take em' into a tire shop. Sounds like warped tires. I had Death Wobble that would come and go randomly. Got to logging time, temp, speed, weather etc etc and came to the conclusion it was wheels and tires based on cold tires. Anyway, got new wheels and tires when I did my lift and no longer have DW. So yes tires and wheels can cause it.
Thank you. Another vote for tires/wheels. Im taking them in now. Hope this solves it.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ChopN
Thank you. Another vote for tires/wheels. Im taking them in now. Hope this solves it.
Good luck!
Old 05-02-2011, 09:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ChopN
For sure, good luck. It sucks but sometimes you gotta pay to play.

Quick Reply: Death wobble from tires/wheels?