Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

exploded t-cases ?????

Old 05-02-2011, 02:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exploded t-cases ?????

Well I was doing so spring touch up and what not on the jeep today. And since I've been having a rhythmic vibration at 60 mph (100 kph) and up, and was thinking it is tires but I decided to look at the t-case just to be sure. Well now the questions start.

1- where are all the damage is done to the t-case? ( I did search but it hard to see with all the damage) Is it the front, the side, casting marks?

2- Has any one seen cracks before it happened or did it just go boom?

3- Any one running the stock 4:10, or is it all re-gears?

A bit about my rig
09 rubi 2 dr with a TF 2.5 coil lift and 1.5 spacers (front) to level out the rake from my warn bumper and winch. I'm still running the stock wheels and tires,1.5 spacers installed. Factory driveshafts still in place. The driveshaft angles are not to bad, nothing touches all the boots are in good shape, joints are tight when testing it on the ground.

Thanks for any info.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

bump..... anybody know the answer?
Old 05-03-2011, 03:40 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm curious too ....Help
Old 05-04-2011, 12:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only transfer cases I've heard about regularly imploding are the aftermarket Atlas 4-speeds (which have been taken off the market until Atlas solves the problem with the failing planetary gears that don't seem to like all the torque from the big Hemis) which are often fitted during Hemi upgrades. From what I know the OEM ones are pretty bulletproof with the stock V6 & CRD motors?
Old 05-04-2011, 03:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Change your T-Case oil. I mean regularly. I had not done it for 40K miles and boy it smelled burned.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The main T-case failures I have read about were rigs running lifts, 5:13's at highway speeds, and big tires. They had aftermarket drive shafts and vibration of the front driveshaft at the T-case output seemed to be causing the T-case to come apart on a few. Maybe there was some bearing lubrication issues also, I don't know.

I would not think you would have problems the way your set up, based on what I have read anyway.

My stock T-case has been abused pretty hard the last couple years, and while it might fail tomorrow, it and the rest of the stock Rubi drivetrain is tougher than I expected.

I have had some minor vibration between 40-45 mph since the day I bought the Jeep. I stopped worying about it years ago. When it happens at 60 on mine, I have found it is time to rotate/balance my tires.

Last edited by Yankee; 05-04-2011 at 04:44 AM.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the tip on changing the fluid, gonna have to do all of them on my days off. Haven't done the t-case or tranny yet. I'm just trying to find out where to keep my eyes pealed, the big guys wreak things faster then the stocker's but eventually the stocker's things do break. Just at much different times.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:12 PM
JK Freak

Tcase failures are occurring in the front case half. The cases are cracking along a molding seam between the front output shaft and the bottom of the case half. If your lucky and notice it early enough it is just an oil leak. If you don't notice it, the Tcase runs out of oil, seizes up and grenades. I was lucky and caught the leak prior to grinding the entire Tcase.

I rebuilt the case using a new front case half. I also installed Teraflex's 2 low kit at the same time. the inside of the front case half was spider webbed over about a 8" square area. With 3 major cracks through the area.

The common denominators for these failures seems to be 3" or higher lift, 35" and bigger tires, 5.13 or 5.38 gears and freeway speeds. Vibrations from increased driveline angles combined with increased driveline rotation speed are causing the front case halfs to fail. The castings on these case isn't very good quality which also contributing to the problem. mopar has made a small change in the front case design, but I don't know if or when it has gone into production. The front case half that I received for the repair was the new design.

just a side note Atlas is currently shipping it's redesigned 4 sp Tcases.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:59 PM
JK Freak

Is it the 4:1 t-case or the X t-case that is poor quality?
Old 05-04-2011, 06:08 PM
JK Super Freak

The aftermarket driveshafts are what is causing the problem. The extra mass of the aftermarket cv joint is bad news. There is a new style that can handle more angle than the old style and it is less massive. I don't recall the name of it but that is the one I would want to have if I were going to change mine.

Quick Reply: exploded t-cases ?????