Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Gas Mileage down after 2" BB

Old 05-02-2011, 03:27 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Mileage down after 2" BB

Is this normal?

The only mods to my 10JK has been a 2" lift and my gas mileage that used to be roughly 17 around the city has dropped to 15.5 on average. Did the lift cause this? And if so is there anything I should be worried about?

Could it be the change in temp? Bought it July last year when it was warm, lifter it late Fall. Its getting warmer but no noticeable change.

Also, I've heard removing the floppy plastic rock/road debris guard atached to the underside of the front bumper was supposed to aid in better gas mileage. Wrong or right? thanks
Old 05-02-2011, 03:31 PM
JK Freak

A lift won't affect your mileage unless you added tires with the lift. Re-install the air dam (floppy plastic rock/road debris guard). That more than likely contributed to your reduced mpg.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:45 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by thrshr01
A lift won't affect your mileage unless you added tires with the lift. Re-install the air dam (floppy plastic rock/road debris guard). That more than likely contributed to your reduced mpg.
The air dam was removed after i saw a reduction in mpg. I've seen steel air damn replacements but i believe those are for aftermarket bumpers. I hate rattling and as loose as that plastic one was, I'd prefer it gone. Anybody know of the steel ones that bolt up to the stock bumper/body?
Old 05-02-2011, 08:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wow 17mpg. I'm only getting 14.5 on bone stock. I only have 3200 miles on it but would love the extra 3mpg.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:17 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also seen a 1 MPG drop after I installed a 2.5 lift
Old 05-03-2011, 02:40 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KRAAZY8
Is this normal?

The only mods to my 10JK has been a 2" lift and my gas mileage that used to be roughly 17 around the city has dropped to 15.5 on average. Did the lift cause this? And if so is there anything I should be worried about?

Could it be the change in temp? Bought it July last year when it was warm, lifter it late Fall. Its getting warmer but no noticeable change.

Also, I've heard removing the floppy plastic rock/road debris guard atached to the underside of the front bumper was supposed to aid in better gas mileage. Wrong or right? thanks
Hi! It is normal and it seems around 15mpg's average is the going rate. Anytime you lift and remove the plastic air dam you're allowing for more wind resistance, therefore what you're seeing is normal. Add some larger tires, and it will even get worse, unless of course you regear your rig, then you can get those mpg's somewhere closer to what you're normally seeing.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:51 AM
JK Newbie

The increased height equates to increased wind resistance. The air flow under the jeep is not as smooth as that above the jeep. I would expect minimal change in city driving gas mileage, but noticeable change in highway gas mileage.

I try to not keep track of mileage to prevent myself from becoming so depressed that I might end up buying a Prius.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TX_Dave
I try to not keep track of mileage to prevent myself from becoming so depressed that I might end up buying a Prius.
This. Keep your eyes on the road, not on your fuel economy display
Old 05-04-2011, 02:48 PM
JK Newbie

With a quartering tailwind of about 10mph I got 20.6 mpg on the exway for about 60 miles today!!! Thats with the 2" lift and w/o the air dam. Maybe it was all in my head
Old 05-04-2011, 03:31 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by KRAAZY8
With a quartering tailwind of about 10mph I got 20.6 mpg on the exway for about 60 miles today!!! Thats with the 2" lift and w/o the air dam. Maybe it was all in my head
or it could be wind direction. The rolling brick can be seriously affected by the wind. No aerodynamics result in dragging like a parachute into a headwind and rocking like a rowboat in crosswinds.

Quick Reply: Gas Mileage down after 2" BB