Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help with issues after installing my new lower control arms.....

Old 05-05-2011, 03:05 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with issues after installing my new lower control arms.....

Need some guidance with my jeep please!

I have an 07 X model (auto) that I just installed the TF 2.5 coil lift. I installed the JKS front adjustable track bar and 35" Duratrac's on Moab wheels (w/ spacers) at the time of the lift installation.

After the lift I had the floaty/flighty ride that some experience and my traction control kicked in on some turns. My husband and I spent quite a few nights reentering my steering wheel and finally got that under control (yea!) but I still felt the ride was too floaty and when my husband spoke to Off Road Warehouse (who we ordered the TF lift from) he suggested adjustable lower control arms.

We ordered and installed the TF Front Lower Adjustable Control arms on Monday and been having a new kind of issue with them installed.
We set them to TF's recommendations and had a wicked "growling" sensation felt the worst between 40 and 45 miles per hour. We adjusted each arm 1/8 shorter (23 on the driver side and 23 1/8 on the passenger side), drove again and while the noise was reduced it didn't go away. Adjusted a second time to 23 on both sides and still can't get the noise/vibration/growl to go away.

When I had my stock lower control arms in I did not have this noise/feeling. I had a floaty ride.

Do you think I should keep reducing my control arm lengths? What should I check? Everything is torque to spec.

Thanks!
Jeanine

Last edited by Neaner; 05-05-2011 at 03:52 AM.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:25 AM
JK Freak

Is the growl coming from the tires? If so, it might be an alignment issue. I am thinking your thrust angle could be off or something? did you double check that your arms are the same length on each side? My friend's TJ had a similar issue after installing his lift and that was the problem.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:40 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MOKOS
Is the growl coming from the tires? If so, it might be an alignment issue. I am thinking your thrust angle could be off or something? did you double check that your arms are the same length on each side? My friend's TJ had a similar issue after installing his lift and that was the problem.
Yes, both arms are the same length on each side. I would say is more a drive train noise and not a tire noise.

Before leaving for work my husband just measured from the frame to inside the tire on both sides and noted the passenger side is 9 3/4 and the driver side is 10 1/2 We will reset the adjustable track bar to center the front axle after work. Maybe that's the issue?
Old 05-05-2011, 05:36 PM
JK Newbie

Update. We centered my front axle, shortened my lower control arms and while the growling sound I was getting is gone I still feel some vibration.

It is most noticeable when the jeep shifts out drive into overdrive at about 45 miles per hour. I also hear the tire rotation much more during this time as well feel on the floor.

I am just trying to figure out if this is all normal considering my lift and components or is there an issue I need to address.

Thanks

Jeanine
Old 05-05-2011, 05:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Without getting an aligment your "winging" your caster settings by adjusting the lower control arms.

I would bring it to a shop and tell them to adjust your caster to 4.5 or so.

Vibrations will occur if your running too much caster.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Probably those damn Moab wheels you picked up. Lol.

On a serious note, did you check the driveshafts? Is it possible that they are rubbing? My buddy had an issue on his auto with the front shaft hitting the tranny pan, was more noticeable at higher speeds.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:02 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jae Suite
Probably those damn Moab wheels you picked up. Lol.

On a serious note, did you check the driveshafts? Is it possible that they are rubbing? My buddy had an issue on his auto with the front shaft hitting the tranny pan, was more noticeable at higher speeds.
Ha,ha yea those damn wheels ;o) !

Yes, Dylan checked them. Said they are fine...far enough away.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:04 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by drumnatural
Without getting an aligment your "winging" your caster settings by adjusting the lower control arms.

I would bring it to a shop and tell them to adjust your caster to 4.5 or so.

Vibrations will occur if your running too much caster.
Thank you, will do.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:37 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Neaner
Thank you, will do.
I installed a 2.5in lift, front and rear adj trackbars and 35" Duratracs as well. I had a bad wander for a while, even after re-centering my steering wheel, and it drove me nuts!. I bit the bullet and had it pro-aligned. My toe was WAY off. My caster was too, but the toe-in was the main culprit. I am not sure if you had it professionally aligned, or at least I don't remember reading it (beer). Your new A-LCA 's will def help the castor once you get the exact specs to be adjusted from the alignment shop. It may not help you, but it certainly did help me.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:49 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...-end-alignment

Check the "setting your Caster" section. If you don't have a cheap angle finder, go grab one and post your numbers.

Quick Reply: Help with issues after installing my new lower control arms.....