Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

another tire question

Old 05-05-2011, 09:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another tire question

I have a 2007 unlimited x which came with 16 in .A friend has a sahara which came with 18 in rims with 255/70r/18 .He replaced them with after market set,can I put his old 18 s on mine.If so will it effect the speedometor.thanks
Old 05-06-2011, 05:59 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

as mentioned, yes, they will fit and depending on what your tire size is now, your speedo may be slightly off as well but, just slightly. question is, do you really want to install a set of 18" wheels? personally, i wouldn't as it is an odd size and one that'll make your future tire selection smaller and more expensive.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:49 PM
JK Newbie

thanks my current tire size is 245/75r/16 if it is only off a little i can live with that .I check the speed with my gps today and the speedo is a little under that on the 16 in .As long as the 18 go on all is good .
Old 05-06-2011, 03:05 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by razz
thanks my current tire size is 245/75r/16 if it is only off a little i can live with that .I check the speed with my gps today and the speedo is a little under that on the 16 in .As long as the 18 go on all is good .
You should still get it set correctly, not only is speed off but your odometer will be off too which is illegal. Also messes with your gas mileage stats.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wayoflife
as mentioned, yes, they will fit and depending on what your tire size is now, your speedo may be slightly off as well but, just slightly. question is, do you really want to install a set of 18" wheels? personally, i wouldn't as it is an odd size and one that'll make your future tire selection smaller and more expensive.
totally agree here, I regret staying with 18's and now I am buying new wheels with my new tires. Like everyone has said, your speedo will be off slightly but I wouldnt worry until you go bigger then I would get a procal or superchips etc. to calibrate the speedo.

Quick Reply: another tire question