Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

BFG/AT's or GY Duratrac's

Old 05-06-2011, 08:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default BFG/AT's or GY Duratrac's

I seem to recall that some people had problems w/ BFG A/T's but can't find it. I know that the Duratrac's are a pretty solid tire (I'm looking at the 315/17 size). The Duratrac's run small though. I plan to do moderte off roading and this will be my DD.
Thoughts?
Old 05-06-2011, 08:48 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have owned BFG's on my Duramax, and iv never had problems i can only imagine putting them on a lighter vehicle.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

BFG's gum up in mud very badly. My duratracs clean out throwing huge chunks of mud.

Both are great in snow and ice.

BFG AT tread design is ANCIENTTTTT, Duratrac is a brand new hybrid AT/MT design.

Is a CJ better then a JK? Nope...

Is a bias ply better then a radial? Nope...

Is I-Cant-Beleive-Its-Not-Butter better then the real deal? Im not sure where this is going...

I like my duratracs better then BFG ATs ive run in the past.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:33 AM
JK Freak

I run BFG AT's and love them. I agree they are not so hot in mud, but on everything else they shine. Great ride quality, and have never had an issue on sand, rocks, etc. That said, tires are like everything else, everyone has their favorites.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Harbourone
BFG's gum up in mud very badly. My duratracs clean out throwing huge chunks of mud.

Both are great in snow and ice.

BFG AT tread design is ANCIENTTTTT, Duratrac is a brand new hybrid AT/MT design.

Is a CJ better then a JK? Nope...

Is a bias ply better then a radial? Nope...

Is I-Cant-Beleive-Its-Not-Butter better then the real deal? Im not sure where this is going...

I like my duratracs better then BFG ATs ive run in the past.
Just trying to figure out what will be the best tire for me to run. I seem to be leaning toward the Duratrac, but if a good deal came my way on another tire, I need to reflect on the benefits of the tire versus the cost. I value people's opinion here so the reason for the post.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I got lost in my own post. I understand the thread.

I like my duratracs better then my bfg at's ive run in the past.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:17 AM
JK Newbie

I went through this process recently and decided on Duratracs, cant wait to get my Jeep back Monday to try them out.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:18 AM
JK Super Freak

No experience with the GY's, but I've had BFG AT's on a YJ and a WJ. What has been said about mud is true, not the best, better than a lot of "AT" tires, but it is no mud tire and it sounds like the Duratracs are a lot better.

I keep hearing though that the Duratracs are also a lot lower mileage tire, like 35K to 45K, even the Goodyear dealer, even though it is becoming clear that the manager is more and more clueless, long story. Anyway, I got over 50K on my YJ and 65K on my WJ, and I sold both with them both having treadlife left.

For me, I work out of my JK a lot, I'm an appraiser so I am out looking at properties a lot, so a lot of road driving is important to me and if the BFG AT's hold up like previous ones I've had, then I will have to go with them again due to the mileage deal.

With all that said, the BFG AT's do look pretty good and aggressive, but those Duratracs look very aggressive and look very good.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:23 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

BFGs!! I promise you won't be disappointed!
Old 05-06-2011, 11:25 AM
JK Newbie

I run the BFG A/T 315/70/17's and like them just fine. True, they do not clear mud as well as some other tires but I'm not a big "mud guy" to start with, so it's of no matter to me.

Moderate trail wheeling / beach / moderate mud use? Good choice.

Daily driver charisteristics? Great choice.

My $.02

Quick Reply: BFG/AT's or GY Duratrac's