Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Hardtop Mix and Match?

Old 04-27-2012, 04:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hardtop Mix and Match?

Ok, so I DID try to search for this and returned 9 pages of results. However, every attempt to go past the 1st page of results gave me an error, so I don't know if it's my browser or the server. My question is will, say for example, a 2007 4-door hardtop fit on a 2011 4-door? I've kinda' been put in a pickle wherein I changed jobs. My new employer, where I have to use my Jeep at work, is requiring me to change to a hardtop because of safety reasons (I don't necessarily agree, but I'm not in a position to be able to debate). As such, and because of the short notice, I don't have $3,000 to drop really quickly on a top and was hoping to find a used one. Any thoughts? One post did mention that they thought the only difference was the size of the back window, which for me isn't an issue since after the 2nd or 3rd day, I can guarantee that it'll be coated in mud to the point I won't be able to see out of it.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think so. 2012, and I'm thinking the 2011 is the same, has different front panels than the older JKs. On mine there is a black slide "Knob<-?" that connects to the footman loop. The older ones attached further back. Maybe the panels would still fit regardless?

Looking at Mopar hardtops on the quadratic store site, they seem to put 2007-2008 as years that are compatible. And then 2009-20011 as another product link.

Good Luck finding a cheap one that will fit.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

I guess that's what's confusing me. Mopar is '07-08 and 09-11, but the Keystone tops are 07-12.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

07-10 the back half of the tops are the same, minor differences in the seals. The different comes with the freedom panels, 07-08 the center latch does not go over the foot man loop. 09-10 it does. 09-10 the footman loop is moved over a bit. 11-12 the back half of the top has changed as well as seals but the freedom panels are the same as the 09-10. ( minor difference)

So you can run a newer top on a older body, you just need to remove the aft locating pins. As well you can run the older freedom panels ( just make sure they are a matched set) on any of the back halfs. You can mix the two up, freedom panels and back Halfs.

You can go the other way as well, older top on a newer body, their is no difference in the size of the tops, 11-12 have different windows in it ( larger) and more locating pins then the older ones. Then seals have changed to prevent leaks but that is all. All tops will bolt on to the jeep. I'm running an 11-12 back with 07-08 freedom panels on a 09, it all fits good and do far no leaks.

So to break it down.
Freedom panels
07-08 the same
09-12 the same with seal differences
Back halfs
07-10 the same with seal differences
11-12 the same

Why they are listed as not fitting in catalogs is that 11-12 have larger windows, and an extra set of locating pins (aft ones). As well as the freedom panels front latch moved over in 09. For factory tops they are different, for aftermarket they are using the same molds still and are not installing the rear locating pins so it's 07-12
Hope this helps

Last edited by pirate; 04-28-2012 at 04:58 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Pirate - Do you by chance have a pic of how the Freedom panels latch in your Jeep? The reason I ask is, if possible, I want to keep the footman loop for a secondary use (I want to mount a crossmember from the soundbar to the center loop to put a CB and switches in). BUT if the latches are still going to be in the way, then I'm not going to even bother trying to find the 07 or 08 panels. Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply: Hardtop Mix and Match?