Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Gobi rack install gone bad

Old 05-05-2012, 09:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gobi rack install gone bad

I was in the process of installing the front rack across the windshield when one of the nuts came loose on the drivers side corner trim and just turned in place. Chrysler installed square nuts in a thin metal channel and the channel has flared out no longer holding the nut. I had trouble getting the original screw out presumable for the same reason. Anybody know of a good way to secure a nut into or behind the sheet metal where there is very little access? You can see the square headed nut leaning up against the metal below the hole in question.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Gobi Rack Mount Location.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	312927
Old 05-05-2012, 09:46 AM
JK Super Freak

You can try one of those rivet nuts. They work similar to dry wall anchors. That is, they have a small diameter to go through the hole and then expand after inserted.

Only problem is that you need a special tool (actually a pop-rivet plier) to install it. The difference is that the core that pulls and expands the rivet nut is threaded. You should be able to find those in places such as Fastenall and the likes.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1141473805.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	312931

Last edited by Sahara_Maverick; 05-05-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sahara_Maverick
You can try one of those rivet nuts. They work similar to dry wall anchors. That is, they have a small diameter to go through the hole and then expand after inserted.

Only problem is that you need a special tool (actually a pop-rivet plier) to install it. The difference is that the core that pulls and expands the rivet nut is threaded. You should be able to find those in places such as Fastenall and the likes.
Attachment 312931
Thanks that should work and I have pop rivet guns.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 4wdave

Thanks that should work and I have pop rivet guns.

Cool! Just try to use washers to reinforce the thin sheet metal.

Quick Reply: Gobi rack install gone bad