Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Checking oil

Old 05-07-2012, 03:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Checking oil

I've been getting 50/50 answers to my question about checking oil. So from the experts, is it best to check oil levels when the engine is cold or warmed up?
Old 05-07-2012, 03:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Like clock work I check my oil every Sunday AM once the Jeep has sat the night in the same known level spot in the garage.

If need be, with a warm motor, on level ground...let it sit for a honest 10 minutes, then pull the stick.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:46 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by webejeepin
Like clock work I check my oil every Sunday AM once the Jeep has sat the night in the same known level spot in the garage.

If need be, with a warm motor, on level ground...let it sit for a honest 10 minutes, then pull the stick.
x2 on the above recommendations. In the '12 owners manual it says to check it after the engine has been turned off and sat for five minutes,but I prefer to check the oil cold after the Jeep has sat overnight on a level ground...
Old 05-07-2012, 05:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aldaman
I prefer to check the oil cold after the Jeep has sat overnight on a level ground...
this.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

X3 on the overnight method. If you are real anal about accuracy, full fuel tank vs low fuel level can cause the reading to vary. At 8lbs per Gal. That can be over 200lbs on the right rear which will change the vehicle rake and oil on the stick. Less gas = slightly higher reading on the stick I have found.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Smiley
X3 on the overnight method. If you are real anal about accuracy, full fuel tank vs low fuel level can cause the reading to vary. At 8lbs per Gal. That can be over 200lbs on the right rear which will change the vehicle rake and oil on the stick. Less gas = slightly higher reading on the stick I have found.
Guess this means I need to fuel up on Sat night Thanks for the info I didn't factor that that in..makes sense...anal maybe...OCD...perhapse...Gotta go check the stove
Old 05-07-2012, 06:16 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Smiley
Never noticed that. My vehicles' oil levels have always been good without regard to compensating for fuel level.

(I think gasoline weighs about 6 lbs. per US Gallon.)
Old 05-07-2012, 07:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx

Never noticed that. My vehicles' oil levels have always been good without regard to compensating for fuel level.

(I think gasoline weighs about 6 lbs. per US Gallon.)
Your are correct 6lbs for gasoline and my math was bad as well only about 120lbs. Never had to pay attention to any other vehicle losing oil until I got the JK so I modified my oil checking habits. Regardless be consistent when you check it. Did I mention when you go from soft-top to hardtop and vic-versa it will make a difference with weight distro. Guess I just need to keep it between the lines and quit checking it so often, I probably wipe 1/2 qt off the dipstick between changes.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jharpphoto
I've been getting 50/50 answers to my question about checking oil. So from the experts, is it best to check oil levels when the engine is cold or warmed up?
It really doesn't matter either way, so long as you check it the same way everytime.
The dipstick will show different levels with each method, so just pick one and stick with it.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:50 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What a thread....so if you have installed leveling kit, aftermarket bumpers, engine is warm and only have 1/4 tank of fuel you are screwed!

Quick Reply: Checking oil