Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Engine started knocking today!

Old 05-11-2012, 04:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine started knocking today!

Ok on the way home from work today my engine started knocking. I just put the superchips performance tune on last Sunday, problem is when my wife gassed up for me she put low test in. Could the knocking be caused by the low test gas with the performance tune? Or do I have bigger problems here?
Old 05-11-2012, 04:39 PM
JK Junkie

How many miles do you have? Do you check your oil regularly and do you have to add oil from time to time? For starters, Put back the stock tune or 87 tune and see if the knocking goes away....Let us know how that goes...
Old 05-11-2012, 05:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by aldaman
How many miles do you have? Do you check your oil regularly and do you have to add oil from time to time? For starters, Put back the stock tune or 87 tune and see if the knocking goes away....Let us know how that goes...
I've never had to add oil and my mechanic never mentioned it being low when the oil was changed. I put the 87 tune back on when I got home. Going to check my oil tomorrow and see how that looks.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:08 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck, will be waiting to hear the results as I'm interested in the outcome (hopefully as is well)
Old 05-11-2012, 05:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yes low grade will make it do that. My buddies srt8 jeep was tuned for 91 and his gf put 87 in it and it ran like crap.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Pretty sure I'm F@$%ed. Checked the oil this morning and the dipstick was almost bone dry! taking it to my mechanic now
Old 05-12-2012, 09:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ISSY
Pretty sure I'm F@$%ed. Checked the oil this morning and the dipstick was almost bone dry! taking it to my mechanic now
Blown motor. Bottom end is toast.
Has anyone swapped in something other than a hemi? Maybe an 8 cylinder out of a Cherokee or Ram? Hate the idea of putting another 3.8 in there.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bimmer335
you do know the ram runs a hemi same with the cherokee...if you are talking about doing a 4.7 swap what would be the point? there is so much aftermarket support for the hemi it can almost be done in your drive way with the right tools!
Yes I was talking about the 4.7. I would love a Hemi but the cost would be much higher, plus I don't have the ability to do an engine swap. I'll be paying for whatever goes back in to be installed.

Quick Reply: Engine started knocking today!