Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Broke the front axle...in bad location.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broke the front axle...in bad location.

I took a buddy out to see our beautiful state, from a Jeep perspective, and while climbing a slight grade the left front axle sheared. The U-Joint actually broke and basically blew up...leaving us having to winch our way out of the bad stuff.

I suppose it could be worse, if it was a rear axle we would still be walking to find civilization...we were quite a ways back. So, now I get to see my ever friendly dealer again and see if Chrysler will decide I was too hard on my Jeep because I put it in 4 low...or some other excuse. It did a real number on the left front...I am guessing at least a grand in damage.

Hope I can actually make ONE off road trip in this stupid thing without it breaking...just one, that is all I ask for.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Is your JK stock or modified?
Old 08-21-2012, 07:12 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do u have Any pics?
Old 08-24-2012, 12:31 PM
JK Newbie

Sorry, I forgot about pics...too upset. This thing has broken on every trip so far...this is my sixth jeep and I have never had one break, ever. So, apparently the newer ones have quality issues? Hell, we even had bolts falling out of the roll bar mounting plates when we were driving down the road...doesn't instill a lot of confidence. The future may hold a Land Rover or something else...Jeep is apparently not up to actual use...looks good though, but I cannot handle walking for two days when (not if) is breaks again.

It is stock, the dealer initially said that Jeep wanted to know if I was off-roading it, or using 4 wheel drive???? WTF? Yes, it is a trial rated jeep...I was doing a whopping 3 MPH or less driving up a gravel road that was steep, but any vehicle with 4 wheel drive could have driven this road.

Anyway, the manufacturer has decided to cover the repairs...darn good thing since there is about $4000 dollars worth of damage...well, at dealer prices anyway. It needs all new parts on the left side, new tie rod ends on right and either new u-joint or all new on left also...big list and I don't remember it all. They also were wondering about finding sand in the axle!!! The seal and bearing are toast, of course it will have sand and other crap in it. Sometimes I wonder about the moral values of our corporations in this country.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm going to say what everyone else is thinking. You don't tear up axles, tie rods, etc. driving up gravel roads. The fact that you've torn yours up TWICE tends to make your story not even remotely look believeable. You should totally get that landrover.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:52 PM
JK Newbie

I agree...I should move on to another brand apparently...you sound like my dealer. I have a witness with video, I am not joking, it was literally a gravel hill, steep but just gravel. If I was doing anything difficult, I would have been a little more likely to understand breaking a part, however, shearing a u-joint is something should not happen...ever, in a stock vehicle not being raced.

I have over 30+ years off road experience, and I have owned well over 20 four wheel drive vehicles...never has one broken in this manner, or had parts fall off while driving...So, think what you will, I know what transpired...and Jeep is not living up to their reputation.

Where do you figure I tore it up twice? It has broken every time it has been driven, on road or off. This is the first time I have torn up these parts, the other parts where different.

Last edited by Bonth123; 08-24-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:57 PM
JK Freak

So Jeep bails you out of a $4000 repair and you get on here bad mouth them?!? Yes please go buy a Landrover.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi all

the practical aplication of force, mostly foward, and going uphill. would not normaly cause that kind of damage. maybe broken ujoint if original was somehow defective.

The application of force, rock crawlin being foward, plus jarring up and own, this multiplies the hundreds of pounds per sqaure inch at impact. Plus the additional sideways pressure would be more inline with a ujoint failure plus other parts($4000 steep price!) you describe.

I would love to see the video. could it be that there was a prexisting defect in the axle you were not aware of. I have gone up and down hills and never had that kind of failure, but given the recent quality issues with jeep manufacture, you might of just had a bad axle that finaly went,ouch!.............................good luck

As long as you have warranty, I would keep the jeep.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:35 PM
JK Newbie

Ok, for one...yeah $4000 may be a high estimate, I am only guessing. The dealer told me 10 hours labor plus parts. There labor is close to or maybe over $100 an hour now, so I am sure it is not too far off.

As for bad mouthing Jeep...I am slightly upset about them questioning their customers when this same vehicle has had so many issues that are very obviously defective build and/or parts. The left front axle u-joint sheared, the right front is in one piece, although the delaer says it is "bad" and will also be replaced. I do understand they need to cover themselves for stupid claims, and many on this forum obviously feel I am not being honest about how this occurred. There are hundreds of users on this forum and I suspect most if not all use their Jeeps off road. So, what purpose would I have in talking about this unless it was so highly unusual?

But...they did cover this under warranty, as they have with the other repairs. Good for them, but from the experience with this Jeep I wonder about their quality control. I have had a 2007 and it never had any issues, two 1990's models...also no problems, a 1976 no issues and a 1949...ok, the 1949 did mark its spot, but it never broke. So, faulty part or whatever..yeah I am telling my opinion of this Jeep, and their warranty department since they have been slightly difficult to deal with. The dealer in this process has actually been pretty good about their position and worked with me and Chysler to get this and previous issues resolved.

I will attempt to get some of the video and get it posted, but then some on here would simply say it was a different video...
Old 08-24-2012, 05:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was this a Dana 44 or 30?

Quick Reply: Broke the front axle...in bad location.