Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Front Driveshaft CV replacement?

Old 08-28-2012, 06:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Driveshaft CV replacement?

I had some clicking noise and this appears to be the culprit. where can i find this part at the cheapest possible price and how can i replace it. i took this pictures of the front driveshaft removed.

a little info about my jeep:

2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
~100k miles
2.5" Rough Country Suspension Lift
35" trail grapplers
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	CV joint.jpg
Views:	651
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	359288  
Old 08-28-2012, 06:54 AM
JK Freak

I am not sure if you can replace just the boot but I am sure you can pick up a used FDS from craigslist for a decent price. They are the same for 2dr/4dr.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:35 AM
JK Newbie

the problem is you can't. i went thru this on mine, the problem is that if its not lifted there is never a problem and if it is lifted you should replace with an a/m shaft. there is no demand so therefore no supply. I spoke with a few driveshaft places around the country that mfg these types of joints for other jeeps( liberty, grand cherokee) and noone could fix mine. I ended up picking up a tom woods off crraigslist for 300.

My recomendation is to go with aftermarket, u will never have to worry about it again.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:38 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Being your Jeep is lifted your best fix is to get an aftermarket double cardon style shaft as this will happen again with a stock shaft. The boot cannot be replaced or fixed. Lots of threads on this subject.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If its clicking the joint is already toast, repairing the boot wont fix the problem.

A after market drive shaft is in your future, at least you can drive without a front drive shaft until you get a new one.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:54 AM
bjh
JK Newbie

The driveshaft is busted. Gonna need to go aftermarket since your Jeep is lifted and the pinion angle was messed up which is why it busted in the first place. Get an aftermarket one and tell them your specs so they can make it longer and you can set the angles correctly so this won't happen again. You will need control arms if you don't have those already to set the angles right

Quick Reply: Front Driveshaft CV replacement?