Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Water in Front Hard Top Panel..

Old 08-30-2012, 04:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Water in Front Hard Top Panel..

Has anyone else had this problem? I have a new Unlimited with 900 miles and I noticed a "sloshing" noise.. When I removed the front panels for the first time tonight, I found the slosh and it drained out of a a rear hole in the panel. All of my other Jeeps have had soft tops so I was wondering if it was a common problem??
Old 08-30-2012, 05:27 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya i hear it once in a while dnt knw where its at but sumtimes it sounds like its by my door.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

i just bought a 2012 jku with 1700 miles and ive never had any water make its way into my hardtop. and its been raining for the last week straight where im at. but good luck
Old 08-30-2012, 06:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Monsterjeep07
Ya i hear it once in a while dnt knw where its at but sumtimes it sounds like its by my door.
Take off the drivers side front panel and point the back down. There is water in the roof panel... I was just wondering how it got there.. I have not done any wheeling, I live in Texas so it hasn't rained... So that means either the factory or the car wash after the beach are culprit..
Old 08-30-2012, 09:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yup had this a while ago from memory I think there was a small section at one of the back corners that had not been properly glued, tip it around until you see where it runs out, drain it then use some araldite etc to seal the hole.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

For the first time I heard the same sound...guess the top panels will be coming off to check for a hole. Then what to seal it with...hmmmm
Old 08-31-2012, 07:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Hardtop Water

I'd suggest using the search as there are a few threads on this already.

Had the same issue w/ the hartop on my '08 JKU. Here's a link to that thread: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...ep-hole-92642/

Cliffs Notes: Not sure about the '12's, but I was told on the '08 NOT to seal the weep holes. They're there for a purpose.

ALSO- make sure you're not over-tightening the large freedom panel screws. Too much will compress the seal (which I understand there's a slight concave to the seal when properly attached, which allows the water to avoid the weep holes).

I stopped getting water in the freedom panels when I just bareley hand-tightened the pannel screws when re-attaching..
Old 08-31-2012, 10:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

hmmmm over tightening the panels....didnt even think about that. everyone says to make sure they are damn tight and of course i put the vulcan death grip on them when i put the panels back on last time lol. But ill be taking mine off sunday to try and drain them and then reseat them.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Don't you have a warranty?
Just take it back and get a new pannel from jeep.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have same problem with mine, i just pull em off and drain them periodically, they dont leak in the jeep so i dont worry about it.

Quick Reply: Water in Front Hard Top Panel..