Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2010 burning oil

Old 09-06-2012, 04:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 burning oil

My 2010 jk is burning the hell out of oil. With a little over 3000 miles on the last oil change my oil light came on yesterday while driving. Pulled into a station and almost bone dry. I have noticed it burns more oil between every oil change but this is bs. I only have 59000 miles on it. Anyone else having this problem. I'm sure there's probably a thread already on here just can't find it on my iPhone. Thanks
Old 09-06-2012, 05:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Oil consumption is a common problem with the 3.8 usually with the earlier production years. Mine personally has never had an issue but I've read people running thicker oils helps. I've run 10w30 the life of my motor with no issues and no excessive consumption. I'm at 51k miles on a 2010.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:18 AM
JK Freak

It's hot down there in Texas, run 10w30, 5w40 or 15w40. The 40 weights might say they are for a diesel but the will work in your JK too and the have better additives.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 2010 and finally did my own oil change a few nights ago.... 2qts low. I'll be switching to a thicker mix next oil change to see if that helps
Old 09-30-2012, 10:26 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

"Almost bone dry", and "2 quarts low"....
Not checking the dip stick once in a while between oil changes?
Old 10-01-2012, 06:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Go to the dealer and start an oil consumption test to document your issue. Replace your pcv valve and switch to 5w30 or 10w30
Old 10-01-2012, 10:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

nothing that a rebore and a set of rings/pistons won't fix...
Old 10-01-2012, 01:33 PM
kik
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
Go to the dealer and start an oil consumption test to document your issue. Replace your pcv valve and switch to 5w30 or 10w30
This is great advice. 3.8 oil consumption seems to be a problem with engines assembled in Mexico. Your window sticker will indicate Mexico or US. Rings were apparently installed upside down/backwards.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
This is what i've discovered looking into my 2010 that is burning oil.

I've replaced the PCV valve and monitored after......sill burning some oil.

When i asked the service manager what will they learn from doing the oil consumption test - he said while trying to laugh...."i'm not sure, that's what the mechanic said to do"

unfortunately i'm just over 38k, so dealer wont help. i've always done oil changes and check levels and never had an issue until i began to tow my trailer this summer......now burning with or w/o trailer.

i contacted a real mechanic who said he can do some diagnostics and a compression test on the engine. if she is in need of a piston ring and valve job, ive read that time and effort to do so would be better spent on engine replacement at that point.

This situation has definitely made me re thing 'its a jeep thing' and recall the several ford pick up trucks ive had over last 20 years with no engine/drivetrain issues. Sorry if my post isnt that helpful or makes a real conclusion, just commiserating on what to do with this 3.8 pig consuming oil....

(The other poster who mentioned Mexican made engines, in another thread i read where Chrysler never made the 3.8 in mexico.)

Last edited by ridelots24; 10-02-2012 at 04:10 AM.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:31 AM
kik
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ridelots24
This is what i've discovered looking into my 2010 that is burning oil.

I've replaced the PCV valve and monitored after......sill burning some oil.

When i asked the service manager what will they learn from doing the oil consumption test - he said while trying to laugh...."i'm not sure, that's what the mechanic said to do"

unfortunately i'm just over 38k, so dealer wont help. i've always done oil changes and check levels and never had an issue until i began to tow my trailer this summer......now burning with or w/o trailer.

i contacted a real mechanic who said he can do some diagnostics and a compression test on the engine. if she is in need of a piston ring and valve job, ive read that time and effort to do so would be better spent on engine replacement at that point.

This situation has definitely made me re thing 'its a jeep thing' and recall the several ford pick up trucks ive had over last 20 years with no engine/drivetrain issues. Sorry if my post isnt that helpful or makes a real conclusion, just commiserating on what to do with this 3.8 pig consuming oil....

(The other poster who mentioned Mexican made engines, in another thread i read where Chrysler never made the 3.8 in mexico.)
Not true. Do a search other than the forums and you'll see that there were 3.8 and 3.6 engines assembled in Mexico. There are forum members that have 3.8's and the window sticker indicates that the engines were assembled in Mexico. On certain engines, the rings were improperly installed which "can" cause oil consumption issues.

Quick Reply: 2010 burning oil