Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AEV control arm brackets

Old 12-31-2013, 06:05 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEV control arm brackets

Ok so who's using these and can I get first hand responses of what you like or hate, thanks ahead of time
Old 12-31-2013, 08:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have them on mine, but they went on at the same time the lift was put on, so I have no comparison of before/after the brackets, just the ride quality of the lift, before/after with the brackets.

I think some people are overly fearful that the brackets will get hung up on obstacles, but I've been out doing some moderate wheeling with my lift and the brackets installed and I haven't had any issues. If you're doing extremely technical rock crawling, maybe, but then you should probably be looking at different control arms. The brackets are a compromise. They correct the geometry of the control arm, but at the expense of some under-body real estate that could cause a snag in the right situation.

Overall, with the lift (AEV 2.5" Dualsport XT), my 2-door rides better on-road than stock in a lot of ways, mostly due to replacing the relatively soft sport shocks and springs. Steering does not feel flightly as described by folks who have lifted and left their control arms uncorrected, and my stock steering stabilizer remains in place. The Jeep tracks ruts and ridges in pavement harder, but I think that's due to the much wider tires I have on there over stock. Let's be honest, though, a 2-door JK doesn't always want to track exactly straight mostly because it's a box. I think with the control arm brackets, steering is near stock-feeling, which is to say, probably about as good as it gets given the wheelbase dimensions. If you're thinking about buying them to accompany your lift, it's probably a good purchase versus not.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had them for over 2 years. I ran a few different lifts without them and ended up buying them instead of adjustable arms. My rig is a dd and I wanted to keep the ride quality of factory control arms and their rubber bushings. Plus they are less than half the price of adjustable arms. After 2 years I have no complaints except the powder coat isn't great and they have a lot of surface rust. The improvement in handling and ride quality was immediately apparent when I added them to my 3" lift. When I added them it was the only change at that time so I was able to compare their effects directly to without.

Their is no question in my mind that if your rig is a dd that sees highway use they are a totally worthwhile investment. If you are extreme rock crawling and not street driving then they might not be the best choice.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love mine. Only had them for 1000 miles but the before and after with my 3.5 inch lift is insane. Look cool too because I powder coated them. Here's some pics so you know about what they look like installed
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1158580258.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	520276   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-913548828.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	520277  
Old 12-31-2013, 10:09 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had mine for almost a year now on my Jeep which is also my DD. No complaints at all, made a very noticeable difference in handling. $100 very well spent.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've run the same unchanged 3.5" lift set up for about 4 years so I decided in September to try the AEV brackets. I installed them and ran them for a couple of weeks without changing any other parts because I wanted to know exactly what they do.
So to answer your question:
Yes they are well worth the money. They make a big difference in ride quality. They redirect the force from bumps and expansion joints in the road backward instead of directly into the frame.
There are other benefits but you can read about those on AEVs website.

Quick Reply: AEV control arm brackets